MBP 2012 13" i5 with ssd or i7

Reaction score
I've made my decision to go with the MBP 13" i7, but after a lot of reading a lot of people are recommending just to get the base model but with ssd, and I can also upgrade the RAM to 16gb. If I get the i7, I plan on upgrading to ssd but it would be at least 1 year before I plan on upgrading. My budget is 1500, so what do guys think, MBP 13" i5 +ssd+16 RAM or MBP 13" i7.

Main uses would be school work, some picture and video editing with PS and FCP and some graphic design. Thanks.

Reaction score
My vote is to get what you can't upgrade later first.

You can't upgrade the processor - ever. But you can upgrade the RAM and storage any time your budget allows (until you max it out).

For $1500, you can get a 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 for $1399 with student discount and you can get a 16GB memory kit for $160 - if you can stretch your budget just $60.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thx for the input, unfortunately I live in a state with sales tax...so upgrading the i7 is out of the question...but I was more worried about the ssd than the RAM. The reviews I was reading said that the i7 is only 10-15% faster than the i5 was some of it is because the i7 config has 8gb RAM. But I know in 2 years the i7 would be underpowered much less the i5.... I'm probably sticking with the i7

Reaction score
Thx for the input, unfortunately I live in a state with sales tax..
That certainly sucks. Have you considered having someone in a less tyrannical state buy it and send it to you?

...but I was more worried about the ssd than the RAM. The reviews I was reading said that the i7 is only 10-15% faster than the i5 was some of it is because the i7 config has 8gb RAM. But I know in 2 years the i7 would be underpowered much less the i5.... I'm probably sticking with the i7
Well, again, you can always upgrade RAM and SSD later, but not processor.

FWIW, I bought the 13" i7.

OP
P
Reaction score
Can a friend do that? Buy it in their state but have it shipped directly to me...or do they get it then ship it to me ( which I have to pay for additional shipping fee)

Reaction score
Can a friend do that? Buy it in their state but have it shipped directly to me...or do they get it then ship it to me ( which I have to pay for additional shipping fee)
If you buy from a retailer who participants in the government's schemes to confiscate your wealth, then they typically base sales tax on where the item ships to. So, you would have to have someone in a non-scheming state buy it and ship it to you - but it can still save you money, depending on your tax percent rate.

USPS Priority mail shipping is pretty cheap. It could easily ship in a large USPS flat rate box with insurance for about $20.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.