• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple files hint at re-engineered iMac and Mac Pro models, potentially without optica

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't buy their argument. Okay, I buy half their argument and expect the next iMac to ditch the Optical Drive. I would be totally shocked to see that with the Mac Pro, because what that would really mean (regardless of whether or not Apple offers Optical Drives) is the lack of any externally accessible drive bays and I can't see that happening.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree. I can see them eliminating the optical drive on the iMac line which will likely have USB 3.0 ports and perhaps an extra Thunderbolt port on both models. But the Mac Pro? Not likely in my opinion. But one never knows what Apple will do next.... O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
A Mac Pro without an optical drive? Now that's just silly...or at least it's silly for our time. Might not be so silly in a few years. Just about everything related with media storage is more reliable, easier, and portable with flash drives. My friend does wedding photography/filmography for a living, and he completely ditched dvds, and uses custom flash drives with custom embroidery designed for each wedding theme.
I don't fault their argument in wanting to switch, I just believe people are afraid to completely ditch the cd/dvd format right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you need it get it. If not wait for a further 6 months or so as the release date has been suggested some time next year. Have a look at Apple's iMac refurbished for a substantial discount, the current OS and as full twelve month warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
What an insane idea.

Already the Macmini now needs an external disk drive.

I thought the idea was 'elegant minimalism'? That doesn't really work with cluttering the desk up with an external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.