imac 24" white screen issues..... HELP!!

Reaction score
So I have an iMac 24" that chimes and boots to white screen and thats it. I have tried the following:

reset pram
reset smc
command v
command s
holding shift
booting from usb
using an external monitor

None of that helped and have ran out of options at this point. Do any of you know if I could narrow it down to a faulty hard drive or a logic board? Im just looking for any options at this point to help someone out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going to be optimistic...and say it's probably your hard drive (dead).

Get out the grey disks that came with the computer (if you bought it new, or if you bought the computer used & have the disks)...or other OS install disks you may have...and try booting the computer from it (hold down the C key during the boot process).

Let us know what happens.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont get anything. I held the c button for about two minutes and nothing.

Did you try at least two times (with the disk already inserted)?

Sometimes I find the computer doesn't always do it the first time...when the disk is initially inserted. I assume you at least hear the DVD drive spinning after the disk is inside.

Also...what disk are you using? If it's the wrong disk...this could factor into things.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I was just using a snow leopard retail disk.... I tried to boot to a usb that has lion on it that I normally install from but I can't even get anything to show up like the HD recovery, HD, or the USB drive. The disk does spin up though, but nothing appears...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was just using a snow leopard retail disk.... I tried to boot to a usb that has lion on it that I normally install from but I can't even get anything to show up like the HD recovery, HD, or the USB drive. The disk does spin up though, but nothing appears...

Hmmm...this isn't sounding good. If you cannot boot from an OS disk...and assuming your CD/DVD drive is good...then it may be something more serious!:(

Especially since you tried an external monitor as well...which would/could eliminate issues with the iMac's built-in display.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Do you have any suggestions or ideas for me? Is this something thats most likely linked to a video card failure?

OP
K
Reaction score
So here is where im at. I just used a lion retail disk and got the external monitor to turn on, but now the problem is that it's not mirrored and I can't see whats on the other side which would be the primary.... The main screen is still white on the imac as im doing this. I can here it asking me to choose the language but I can't see whats on the primary screen or drag anything over to the screen on the right that i am seeing..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So here is where im at. I just used a lion retail disk and got the external monitor to turn on, but now the problem is that it's not mirrored and I can't see whats on the other side which would be the primary.... The main screen is still white on the imac as im doing this. I can here it asking me to choose the language but I can't see whats on the primary screen or drag anything over to the screen on the right that i am seeing..

In your initial post you mentioned that the external monitor idea didn't help. Now it sounds like it may be working...which certainly is a different "ballgame". If you want mirrored displays, try using the...command + F1...key combination.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
So my problem was not being patient with letting the install disk load. Once it loaded than the external monitor came on but was in secondary mode, and the main lcd stayed white. So now I noticed that when I look at the monitor at an angle i can see text in verbose mode and command + s ( safe mode ) any suggestions? I did try the shortcut key but couldn't get that to work. I was able during the install to drag a windows into the external monitor. When holding command and s the text finally stops at :/ root#

OP
K
Reaction score
So here is where I am now to update. I can see the secondary screen when booting reinstall disk, but can't get it to show as mirror to see primary screen.

Reaction score
I litteraly had the exact same issue with my 17" iMac, and i was able to narrow it down to the logic board. Hoped on eBay and bought a used, good condition, logic board for $78 including shipping. So I guess it could be worse. Normally someone would probably charge about 75-140 to install it. Personally, I am pretty tech savoy so I did it myself lol..

OP
K
Reaction score
So I opened up the iMac and disconnected the main lcd in imac and hooked up external monitor and it defaulted to external monitor like it's the new primary. Now I don't need to mirror it. Does that mean that the lcd is bad and I can be 100% sure its the lcd? I don't know. Can someone lead me to a conclusion that will help please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.