Getting a used MacBook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
I am buying a 13 inch MacBook pro from a friend. 2010 model. My question is how do we reset it to its original factory settings. He has no installation disc. I have a back up drive for my iMac on a external hard drive, can we use that? Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
That is like buying a friends car that doesn't have a title to it... I wouldn't buy it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That is like buying a friends car that doesn't have a title to it... I wouldn't buy it.

Ohh come on...that's not even close to a good analogy. A used computer without an OS install disk is nothing like a used car missing a title.

All the OP has to do (if this computer is purchased)...is call Apple and order an OS install disk...or buy one off e-Bay.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
That is a HORRIBLY analogy, and it is completely untrue.

A title proves ownership. Having an install disc proves nothing.

Besides which, why would someone want the install disc for an old, out of date OS anyway? Esp. when the current one can be had for a mere $20. I wouldn't even bother with the original install disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
To protect yourself even more, get a new hard drive and you can get a clone of the drive in the mbp you are going to buy and sweep the drives. And install the Mountain lion osx to the new mbp, this way you are worry free.
In hind sight friend will not let friend down.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
Thank you all. I am also sure that this friend does not let me down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Just buy a new copy of OS X then you can restore it... call apple they sent me a free copy of snow leopard.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
It is all good guys. Got the laptop today . Put on Mountain Lion over snow leopard works a treat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.