Office for Mac Chrashes on Startup

Reaction score
Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) 2011 for MAC chrashes on startup

Hi,

I am running Mountain Lion on a MacBook Pro Early 2011. I had the latest version of Office for Mac installed when it chrased.

I really need some help to solve this problem. Suddenly, my office for MAC chrashes on startup. It applies to all office programs (Word, PowerPoint and Excel). When I try to start either up, Microsoft Error Reporting immediately shows up.

It is definitely worth mentioning that I also fiddled with the Microsoft User Data folder, which to my much annoyance places itself in the "Documents" folder on the mac and REFUSES to go away. Then I placed it in the library preference folder and it hasn't returned since, but the problem might or might not be related to that... Who knows. I think I did a lot of damage when moving that folder around. And I really think it is related to the problem.

I have earlier, leading up to this, experienced problems in connection to a file/document or something called "Normal"(??)

About two months ago. I removed Office for Mac and did a clean install. However the problem returned after about 6 weeks.

This is the report, I get. I need some help to understand what is wrong here and what I can do to solve it.

Thank you very much

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Date/Time: 2012-08-09 20:33:30 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Word
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
Application Signature: MSWD
Application Version: 14.2.3.120616
Crashed Module Name: Microsoft Word
Crashed Module Version: 14.2.3.120616
Crashed Module Offset: 0x00005207
Blame Module Name: Microsoft Word
Blame Module Version: 14.2.3.120616
Blame Module Offset: 0x00005207
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Crashed thread: 0

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft Office data files and profile are sensitive to location and corruption. I can't tell you for sure if messing with the data file is the cause of the problem. But rather than chasing after shadows trying to resolve it, it's best to completely uninstall Office and start over.

Use the uninstall instructions that are given by Microsoft in their knowledge base article which you can follow from here. Reinstalling will preserve your documents and personal templates, however, all your settings and any macros you created and saved to the normal template will be lost.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi

thanks for your reply. I did this procedure when I uninstalled the last time and installed again. However, the same problem reoccurred.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you uninstalled the last time, did you use the procedure given by Microsoft or did you just drag everything to the Trash?

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi chscag

thanks for your reply.

I don't recall. I would not be like me not to do it, but I can't be sure. The thing is. If I put the Microsoft Office folder in strange places, then maybe I didn't get it all off the machine.

I will do the procedure as you linked to right now. I can only know for sure if it worked in September, as I don't have access to my Office cds until then, unfortunately. I suppose there is no other way of installing it again? without the cd's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.