• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can I convert PC .exp video file?

Reaction score
I have a DVD with security camera footage from a restaurant made on a Pelco DVR device that is encoded as a .exp file. It only plays on a PC in Windows Media but cannot be downloaded or converted on the PC. It doesn't show up at all on my PowerBook. I've been given the job of editing the footage down to a brief clip but I can't use typical software to copy and convert it. I usually use Handbrake. Any suggestions? I need to get this done ASAP. Any suggestions will be most helpful and appreciated. My OSX is 10.6.8. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You will have to contact Pelco I think

I do work with Bosch Security Systems on their CCTV products (I am a Graphic designer)

In many cases they encode an mpeg stream and wrap it in a proprietary video codec, so I would contact the manufacturer to see if they offer a viewer program or know of a way to convert the CCTV footage to a more common format

Often they have these odd formats to prevent tampering to make sure the footage can hold up in court. There is a new standard called ONVIF that is more open, but maybe Pelco are not using this more recent standard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
hi!

Welcome to the forums.

Are you sure it's got an extension .exp? I've never seen that extension before and it's not even registered as an extension normally used by Pelco (rather it's shown as an extension used by a few other products) - only security system exports that I've seen have been AVCHD, MP4, MOV or AVI (but also as louishen states, some (higher end ones) use a proprietary wrapper as well). I'd suggest calling Pelco to get it resolved - you can get their contact info here: Pelco Sales and Support Contact Information .

As a side note - if you have 10.6.8 on your laptop, it's a Macbook, Macbook Air or Macbook Pro. Powerbooks did not have Intel processors in them and are not compatible with 10.6.8 (which requires an intel processor). The last version of OSX compatible with powerbooks was 10.5.x.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a Macbook Pro. This footage is to be used in court. It's hours long and they only want the clip of a customer who fell in the restaurant. The actual file name on the disc is CH06_20081213_2303.exp ... I will try contacting Pelco. Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
And actually I'm not sure it's a Pelco file. I may have gotten that notion from searching Google for security cam info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Usually you need to use whatever video management software the CCTV system has, its usually the DVR that has encoded the file, so start with the DVR manufacturer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.