Airplay with Airport Express's

Reaction score
Hope this is a good home for this thread...

This issue is all about Airplay...I LOVE Airplay, but HATE when it cuts out...

I have a new apartment, a new wireless network with a non Apple router. Get my 6 month old Express into the network and hooked to the stereo. Airplay played fine. But as has been the case for the last few months, Airplay runs from my iPhone clean sometimes,and runs with cut outs other times. Some cutouts last 2 seconds, some 30 seconds. And some cutouts are actually cut offs. Takes a couple minutes to realize it, but when I look at my iPhone, I see that the iPod app has stopped transmitting (the play icon is no longer present along the top of the phone)...so I attempted to change back to using my Mac for Airplay...but iTunes won't connect to the Airport Express. Odd, since I used the Mac to configure the Express...

so off to the Genius bar I go...

Made an iPhone appt...mistake of course, BUT, they decided to replace the phone...not a bad thing since I get a brand new battery and a blemish free case! But it did nothing to fix the issue...so I followed up with a Mac Genius appt...they replaced my Airport Express as everything else checked out...but I failed to try to connect to the new Express from iTunes in the store...I also decided to buy a new Airport Express for the back room of my apt as I was very hopeful the cut outs would be gone...get home, configure the replaced Express only to have it crash hard at the end of the configuration process...never came back to life...dead...back to the Apple Store soon...unboxed the new Express...cool, looks like my Apple TV...configured fine, iPhone plays Airplay (did not use it long enough to get a sense for cut outs), but the Mac? Nope, won't connect...back to the Apple store sooner...replaced the dead Express cuz it was DEAD...got a new style one in place since they were out of stock of the older style...took about a half hour to determine that the iTunes to Express connect issue was an OS issue...dang...

So...I head back home and installed Mountain Lion and configured the new Express's...all connects just fine now...but...but airplay is cutting out so badly I feel like I've WASTED $200 on Airport Expresses...this sux! and sadly, in the past, Airplay was seamless, smooth, and totally without cutouts...now? Airplay now cuts out as bad from my Mac as it does from my iPhone...

what gives? help please!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well... if you have sufficient interference, this will cause cut outs. So too will too much traffic on your network. Are you still on the stock channel? If so, change it. Are there other computers using this wifi? Turn em off. Do this until it stops.

OP
E
Reaction score
so far so good...changed the channel on the internet providers router and so far so good...

New inquiry, same subject, Airplay...I figured out how to get multiple "speakers" selected through iTunes on the Mac...one of those experiments...Shift select did the trick...haven't figured out how to select multiple "speakers" on the iPhone...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
so far so good...changed the channel on the internet providers router and so far so good...

New inquiry, same subject, Airplay...I figured out how to get multiple "speakers" selected through iTunes on the Mac...one of those experiments...Shift select did the trick...haven't figured out how to select multiple "speakers" on the iPhone...?

I've not tried it with the iPhone. Not really sure if the UI will allow it to be honest. I'll give it a go this weekend if you haven't found a solution by then

OP
E
Reaction score
played with it for a while to no avail. Today I decided to revert to my Apple Remote App on my iPhone and was unsuccessful adding the device to iTunes...odd as I'd done it a couple of years ago. In frustration, I decided to try Home Sharing Instead and walah, not only was I able to use the phone as a remote again, but I can toggle multiple speakers on and off...and there's a bit of control there I hadn't anticipated...individual volume control for the selected speakers.

Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.