Can't get rid of Windows from Boot Menu

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks in advance for any help. Here's the situation I'm in. I have a mid-2011 Mac Mini. I installed a new SSD and loaded up Mountain Lion. Then ran bootcamp, partitioned the disk and started an install of Win 7. The Win 7 install failed. Went back into ML, ran Disk Utiltity and deleted the Win 7 partition and resized the OS X partition to fill up the whole disk.

After this, when I started the mac, I still get WIndows as a boot option, in addition to OS X. So I ran disk utility again from the recovery HD and erased the disk (i.e. got rid of ML). WHen I boot, WIndows still shows up as a boot option (the only one). I decided to get more aggressive. Went back into Disk Util and zeroed out the drive. No dice - cant' get rid of WIndows from the boot menu, even though I have an essentially clean SSD in the Mac with no OS of any kind installed.

Any tips on what might be going on or how to get rid of the ghost Windows and start from a clean slate?

Reaction score
When deleting a Boot Camp partition, you don't use Disk Utility, you use Boot Camp Assistant - there's an option to restore the HD to a single OS partition. Try removing it that way next.

Cheers

OP
V
Reaction score
Hi,
At this point, there's "nothing" on the disk - I've wiped out OS X. So running bootcamp assistant is not an option at this time. There seems to be a boot menu entry somewhere for windows even though disk utility indicates that the disk is fully available. Any insights on where the boot menu is maintained and how to edit or clear it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Having wiped the drive, what does Disk Utility have to say about the capacity of the drive? You may need to format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and go into Partition, set up as one single partition, into Options and make sure GUID is selected and try an install of Mac OS X.

To install Windows again print the guidelines in Bootcamp Assistant, download drivers and burn to a CD and continue.

OP
V
Reaction score
Ok, I managed to sort out my issues. It turns out the culprit was the second hard drive on my mini. (I have an SSD and a standard 1TB hard drive). The aborted Windows install seems to have left some files on the second hard drive that was causing the boot loader to think there was an OS there. I zeroed out the second hard drive, re-installed OS X on the SSD and was able to use bootcamp assistant to reinstall Windows 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.