• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone watch Falling Skies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I was wondering if anyone here watches the show Falling Skies and if they watched the episode from Sunday...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yep. I've been watching it. It's a love/hate relationship with that show. Some episodes are pretty darn cool and interesting, while others leave me wondering why I bother to watch. the last episode was pretty lame except for the last 5 minutes IMHO. As usual, the previews for next week look good - I hope so at least. ;)

Personally, I'm waiting for the Walking Dead to come back on so Falling skies is sort of a filler for me.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. I've been watching it. It's a love/hate relationship with that show. Some episodes are pretty darn cool and interesting, while others leave me wondering why I bother to watch. the last episode was pretty lame except for the last 5 minutes IMHO. As usual, the previews for next week look good - I hope so at least. ;)

Personally, I'm waiting for the Walking Dead to come back on so Falling skies is sort of a filler for me.

I'm a huge walking dead fan, wife isn't tho. I'm really psyched for next season and how long the "Ricktatorship" will last.

In terms of last sunday I'm wondering if Charleston isn't the human settlement the aliens referred to when they captured Tom just before he was released and that really the older military guy (whom they all thought was killed in battle) was perhaps instead captured and released under the order of the aliens to lead people to that central location where they would be "left alone"...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've watched several episodes and quite frankly it's boring. Another "War of the Worlds" SF series but with a more modern day spin to it. But that's just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a huge walking dead fan, wife isn't tho. I'm really psyched for next season and how long the "Ricktatorship" will last.

I cheated and read some of the plot outline from the comic book series. It should be more action-packed from here on out if it follows the general plot, even peripherally. It about time someone took charge of things, and they got off that dang farm.

In terms of last Sunday I'm wondering if Charleston isn't the human settlement the aliens referred to when they captured Tom just before he was released and that really the older military guy (whom they all thought was killed in battle) was perhaps instead captured and released under the order of the aliens to lead people to that central location where they would be "left alone"...

Couldn't agree more. Charleston is...

Atrapitis.gif

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cheated and read some of the plot outline from the comic book series. It should be more action-packed from here on out if it follows the general plot, even peripherally. It about time someone took charge of things, and they got off that dang farm.

I was about ready to strangle Rick's wife at the end of the last season - she was instrumental on putting the events in motion between Rick and Shane. Although I think Shane was a bit unstable anyway, I don't think it would have quite reached that climax had she (Rick's wife) not played a direct hand (heck she even told Rick he was going to have to deal with shane due to the direction that shane was heading.

In terms of Falling Sky: Yeah, it's going to be bad news. I'll be curious how it plays out.

chscag: There really aren't many good sci fi based shows on these days, Falling Skies and Dr. Who are about the only sci fi shows that are set to record on my PVR until something comes out that really blows me away - but with the quality of most programs these days I'm not expecting to see that level of a show anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SciFi in America died after the main channel was renamed SyFy. Seems like all there is now is Pro Wrestling and D-grade movies a la "Grizzlysharktopus". Battlestar was the last new SciFi show I was really riveted to, and even it was a remake.

hybrid.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Been wondering whether or not I should watch Falling Skies, and I guess this thread answers that question. I heard the first season was really lame, but the commercials for this season make it look kinda-sorta interesting I guess, even though I realize that it's probably the most climatic parts they're peddling.

I don't watch a whole lot of television, but when I do, I expect to be thoroughly entertained so I try to gauge what is best with reviews. LOST really got me "back into" tv, because I had not watched anything on a regular basis for years before that. And the best part about that is, I only got on the LOST bandwagon about a year after the series had finished! After that, it was a futile quest to fill that LOST gap. Since then, nothing has come close to entertaining me or moving me the way that show did.

The Walking dead is real close though... there are some really great actors/characters on that show, and the adaptation is quite excellent, to the point of where I think they should do a motion picture rather than have a series finale.

Another show I got really into, but thus far has only had two seasons after years, is Luther. A BBC Entertainment show starring Idris Alba. He's fantastic, as is the supporting cast, and the story line is very strong. Oh, and from what I hear.. a third season is on the way, set for 2013!

Many others have disappointed, and I'll have to Google some of the names because they just aren't memorable. The most recent one which is highly disappointing is "Touch", with Kiefer Sutherland. The premise seemed very promising, but ultimately let down with horrible writing and utterly craptastic direction. Kiefer seems out of place here, because he's quite capable when given good material.

Then there was Alcatraz. I watched a few episodes, and LOVED (as well as feared) that one of my favorite characters from LOST was prominently featured. The first thing I noticed about the show, was that the score was once again given to Michael Giaccihno, and that it sounded way too much like... well, LOST. They also tried to give it a kooky feel, which I knew wouldn't work, and I got bored real fast. Surprise surprise, one season and a fail.

Even before Alcatraz, there was:FlashForward. Holy Cow. This could have been a great show! Had a very decent cast, and a very interesting premise. Unfortunately, it just got lazy and had the same **** poor writers or "writers" with the same lack of skills as everything else which was about to follow it, when it left the air.

And I think that even before FlashForward, there was this DRECK: The Event. Uuuuuch! I'll just leave it at that. I could probably go on a bit, with shows that just stink, but what about shows I haven't really gotten into yet, and would like to? And what about shows that I did like, but are unfortunately done with? Let's start with those:

Scrubs. Will always love scrubs. It's like watching Family Guy, but with real people and better stories and better flashbacks and references.

House. Not much to be said about this well done show, even though it did have ups and downs casting wise. And even though the story line scenarios were just ridiculous. House was like the McGuyver of the medical world.

House went very well (to me), with NCIS. And I can't wait for the next season of it to begin. This past season has been a bit slow, and I can't stand Jamie Lee Curtis, but thankfully she's done and gone in the next season, and the pickup should be quite nail biting. That said, I hate NCIS Miami. It stinks on ice IMO. I just can't take L.L. seriously, at all to this capacity. He should have stuck to hip hop.

As for what I have yet to see or have only seen a tad of:

Awake. Cancelled after only one season. Maybe I should skip it? Story line seemed pretty cool, wonder what happened?

The Wire. YEs... I know, I know... all of my friends hound me about it. I'll get to it, eventually!

Same thing goes for Breaking Bad. I've yet to see one episode, and have heard that the past season was kind of meh, but I'm still interested.

Back to Sci-Fi with: Fringe. I can generally gauge what I'm going to like based upon what certain members of my family are into. And in this case, my aunt, whom was actually very cool back in the day (hippy and all) said that she loves Fringe but has never been in to sci fi. That confused me, and maybe set the stage for why I put off watching it. I saw a few episodes, (not from the beginning) and admit that I got lost very quickly. Should I give it a go?

Another popular one I never really got into, after seeing a couple of episodes, is 24. Don't know why, maybe just the state of mind I was in at the time, and I'll perhaps give it another go at some point.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
SciFi in America died after the main channel was renamed SyFy. Seems like all there is now is Pro Wrestling and D-grade movies a la "Grizzlysharktopus". Battlestar was the last new SciFi show I was really riveted to, and even it was a remake.

hybrid.jpg

Please..Please tell me that was not a real movie. Please!

And thanks for reminding me about Battlestar! How could I possibly have left that out?! That was quality for sure! Dr. Who is alright-ish. Perhaps a bit too childish for my tastes at times. And I hate admitting that, because I'm a huge immature child at 40.

Doug

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Walking dead is real close though... there are some really great actors/characters on that show, and the adaptation is quite excellent, to the point of where I think they should do a motion picture rather than have a series finale.

I really like the premise and flow of TWD - granted it uses a lot of existing common zombie material (like the main character being in a coma during the outbreak like 28 days later), but the cast really makes for a group of people that you have love and hate for - sometimes all within a single episode.

The most recent one which is highly disappointing is "Touch", with Kiefer Sutherland. The premise seemed very promising, but ultimately let down with horrible writing and utterly craptastic direction. Kiefer seems out of place here, because he's quite capable when given good material.

That's really disappointing - I missed the initial episodes but always wanted to see it - the premise looked like the show had potential.

Even before Alcatraz, there was:FlashForward. Holy Cow. This could have been a great show! Had a very decent cast, and a very interesting premise. Unfortunately, it just got lazy and had the same **** poor writers or "writers" with the same lack of skills as everything else which was about to follow it, when it left the air.

Yeah, I liked FF, but it was like they knew they were going to be canceled and tried to throw all in at once to explain things and ugh.

And I think that even before FlashForward, there was this DRECK: The Event. Uuuuuch! I'll just leave it at that. I could probably go on a bit, with shows that just stink,

I thought the premise was cool and the first episode was interesting, but it didn't play out well for me in the long run either.

Scrubs. Will always love scrubs. It's like watching Family Guy, but with real people and better stories and better flashbacks and references.

Never watched this.

House. Not much to be said about this well done show, even though it did have ups and downs casting wise. And even though the story line scenarios were just ridiculous. House was like the McGuyver of the medical world.

I didn't pick up on watching house until season 5 or 6, at which time I went and got netflix to send me all of the seasons from season 1 and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. I'm still sad that it's gone, but it was time for it to end.

House went very well (to me), with NCIS. And I can't wait for the next season of it to begin. This past season has been a bit slow, and I can't stand Jamie Lee Curtis, but thankfully she's done and gone in the next season, and the pickup should be quite nail biting. That said, I hate NCIS Miami. It stinks on ice IMO. I just can't take L.L. seriously, at all to this capacity. He should have stuck to hip hop.

My wife and I both watch NCIS and NCIS:LA (the only Miami show is CSI:Miami which I think has finally been canceled - thank God). We happen to like both shows but we like NCIS better probably because we feel a stronger attachment to the characters and we really like the actors that portray them - and next season we are totally excited for to find out what happened with Ducky and who might have been injured/killed from the main office in the explosions.

Awake. Cancelled after only one season. Maybe I should skip it? Story line seemed pretty cool, wonder what happened?

My wife didn't like this, but I really did (I also happen to really like Jason Isaacs as an actor). It was to a degree confusing as **** unless you really followed the story. They did tie it together to a certain level of a conclusion but I had wished that it would have been renewed (and that they would have changed the season finally to make it feel less final).

Back to Sci-Fi with: Fringe. I can generally gauge what I'm going to like based upon what certain members of my family are into. And in this case, my aunt, whom was actually very cool back in the day (hippy and all) said that she loves Fringe but has never been in to sci fi. That confused me, and maybe set the stage for why I put off watching it. I saw a few episodes, (not from the beginning) and admit that I got lost very quickly. Should I give it a go?

I'm behind about a season on Fringe right now. I think the current season is the last, but I did like it a lot up to the point I had watched. I've been able to follow it fairly well (I also watched it from s01e01) and the humor injected in the show (mostly from Walters actions) have kept me involved because although I can't say I care for all of the characters, I have come to care for some of them which is for me many times the aspect that keeps me involved with a show.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like we have similar tastes. And yes NCIS LA... right. You should download Luther, I think you'll really enjoy it, considering how involved you get with characters. There are two in that show which remind me a lot of the relationship Batman has with the Joker.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
To be fair.. It's all about Game of Thrones!

Reaction score
I enjoy falling skies but it's not an A list show for me. It's a good filler. I like the characters/actors but think the storyline is weak. It makes no sense to me that an advanced alien species couldn't find them and wipe them out after destroying all of the major armed forces on the Earth. I also don't think they have adequately explained the harness/child relationship. Why not harness adults? The whole throw a blanket over the engine of the car to hide the heat is just plain silly especially since they drive around at night with their headlights on. It is still fun to watch though.

Walking Dead is really excellent. Yes the wife is a pain but the other characters are great.

I just started watching Luther recently and I like it. His relationship with the crazy woman is great. I think he should embrace it. Still watching...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.