System Information

Reaction score
Under Storage in system information it shows I have 78G of "backups" file (coded pink) in my HD. I recently trashed 40-50G of stuff bc I was starting to run low on storage in my macbook pro but I emptied the trash. What are these "backup" files? Where do I find them and how do I get rid of them?

Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello and welcome..it's possible that you have Time Machine set to back up to the internal drive rather than an external one. Check the app's preferences to see.

OP
J
Reaction score
I checked to be sure but TimeMachine is backing up to an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The backups are indeed local time machine backups. This occurs when you've not connected to your external backup source.

Check out this article.

OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

Please note the important bit at the end:

Note: You may notice a difference in available space statistics between Disk Utility, Finder, and Get Info inspectors. This is expected and can be safely ignored. The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.