Hard drive just died

Reaction score
So my 13 inch macbook pro hard drive just kicked it out of nowhere, and I need to get a replacement

Will either of these hard drives work?
Seagate Momentus 750GB 2.5" Internal Hard Drive (ST9750423AS) : Internal Hard Drives - Future Shop
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=47516fad8d09cff136f3566ef0b6ed96en02

Or are the dimensions wrong for a MBP? Which one is beter? Is there a limit to how big my hard drive can be? I bought my macbook in may of 2010 if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help, I am so stressed out since I just lost a ton of video and music files

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You said MBP at the first and Macbook later. Is it an MBP for sure? Also what year is the MBP?

That drive should work. It's the white Macbooks that were more picky about thickness of the drive.

Oops. you did way the year. Sorry. That will work for sure.

OP
W
Reaction score
Yes, sorry for the confusion. It is definitely a macbook pro. I just called it a macbook out of habit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, sorry for the confusion. It is definitely a macbook pro. I just called it a macbook out of habit.

I updated my reply. It will work.

OP
W
Reaction score
I updated my reply. It will work.

Thank you so much for the help! Do you think it's better to get the seagate or the WD hard drive?

If it stopped working when I moved my laptop (I was setting it on my bed) do you think there is a possibility that it's just the connector coming loose an not the drive dying? My computer just froze, so I held the power button down to restart and then got the question mark thing when it couldn't find the drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as the cable, check when you get inside. Do you know what brand is in the MBP now?

I am partial to WD drives, but most Seagates are fine also.

Is Lion on that machine? If so boot from the Restore partition and launch Disk Utility and check both the SMART status. If the drive does not show in Disk utility, check the cable.

It's probably a lemon drive. Happens even with the best brands sometimes.

OP
W
Reaction score
I just looked and it's a WD in there now. I checked the HD connectors are tried again but no luck. I can hear one little click when it tries to check the drive, but then it goes silent and obviously doesn't work. Definitely need a replacement

Thanks so much for helping me out, at least I know I tried everything I could. Maybe they'll still be able to get my stuff off of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.