iCloud Restore Failed due to WiFi disconnect - multiple fixes attempted w/o success

Reaction score
Hey all

I recently received a replacement iPhone 4S 64GB after my former one had some technical hardware issues.

My problem is this: After about an hour or so into my iCloud restore of my iPhone, I receive an error message stating that my WiFi has been disconnected which leaves me with no option but to start the process over again. I've searched online for a resolution and have tried the following:

1. Tried a different WiFi network
2. Assigned a static IP to my connection
3. Kept the screen active by regularly tapping on it during the restore process.
4. Removed the sim card immediately after iPhone activation

Ive used a wifi network with both a Linksys/Cisco and a Netgear router - still the same problem.

None of these things has resolved the issue and its driving me crazy. Since there is no other way to access the iCloud backup other than via WiFi, I'm essentially left high and dry and I'm unable to restore my phone. Yes, I've now learned the hard way to do a manual backup to iTunes on my iMac, but as for the problem at hand, I'm really in need of assistance to fix this issue.

I know I am not the only one out there having this issue. Anyone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take the iPhone back to the Apple store which replaced it for you and have them do the restore from their network. If it fails there, it may be an indication that something is wrong with the replacement.

C

chas_m

I don't know where you've gotten the idea that the only way to access your iCloud backup is via Wi-Fi, that's simply not true.

Plug the iPhone into your Mac. Open iTunes if it doesn't open automatically. Choose "restore from iCloud backup."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.