new mac mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 3.8, Ipad 3, MacBook Pro 15"retina, iPhone 5
just bought a 6 month old mac mini for my girlfriend
2011 model 2.5ghz
its running lion
im going to update it before i give it to her including installing mountain lion
i updated my imac last week . so im ok on how to do it, but as the mini does not have any discs with it or any disc version of lion , is there anything i should know.in case anything goes wrong with install
will the lion partition remain on drive alongside a mountain lion partition

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, the Mountain Lion installation will overwrite Lion. Also, if this Mini is a gift for your friend, it might be best to purchase it with her Apple ID. That way if she should ever need to download it again, she can do so without paying for it once more. But that's up to you....

OP
markyb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 3.8, Ipad 3, MacBook Pro 15"retina, iPhone 5
No, the Mountain Lion installation will overwrite Lion. Also, if this Mini is a gift for your friend, it might be best to purchase it with her Apple ID. That way if she should ever need to download it again, she can do so without paying for it once more. But that's up to you....

being used in same house. will keep her off my mac LOL
the mini has the internet based apple tools
will that still work with mountain lion

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it will work with Mountain Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.