My Macbook (bought early 2010) won't turn on completely!

Reaction score
The other night I left my Macbook plugged in to the charger but the laptop open. It is set to go to screen saver mode in fifteen minutes and to sleep in I think 45 minutes or something like that. Last night when I went to use it again, it did nothing. I tried to restart it by holding down the power button to completely turn off, which it did. Then when I tried to turn it back on, it makes the same normal sound it does when it turns on but it is just stuck in the gray loading screen. I've tried restarting it multiple times but it just keeps getting stuck on that gray screen. It's not making any other noise except the normal starting noise so I don't know what is wrong. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What version of OSX is on it? Did anything come up on the gray screen or just blank the entire time? Do you hear any other noises (clicking, scraping, grinding)?

OP
C
Reaction score
To be honest I'm not sure which version of OSX is on it. When it gets up to the gray screen it has the dark gray apple symbol and the little circle loading symbol. It doesn't make any noise except for the normal start up sound it makes. No clicking, scraping, or grinding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Did the system come with any additional boot up discs or thumb drives? (I can't remember when exactly Apple stopped including recovery DVD's with their systems, I could swear it was the 2010 models, but I might be wrong) - if you do have a DVD, put the disc in the drive, power cycle the computer, when the screen is gray (but before the apple logo appears) press the C key to get it to boot to the CDROM and with the OS reinstall disk, use the disk utilities to verify the disk and check/repair permissions and see if that helps.

If it didn't come with a recovery CD/DVD/USB chances are you have at least Lion installed, reboot the system and before the gray apple shows up, press Command + R to get into the Recovery partition - in there you will find Disk Utilities, run it to verify the disk and check/repair permissions and see if it helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.