Installation and Mail Issues

Reaction score
Hello, everyone

I'm new to the forum, but not to Macs. I have two recently emerged issues, perhaps related. First, no installers are working on my computer. I have tried software updates via the Appple menu (running Lion), and once started, it grinds and never identifies updates to be installed. I have downloaded them manually, double-clicked and the installer program again grinds and grinds and never installs. I have not tried to install any 3rd Party dmgs.

The issue with Apple Mail client is that it has stopped updating Apple Mail. (ICloud). It was doing this until today, no problem. My gmail continues to be updated, but the last Apple Mail (iCloud) came through on July 31. I don't get a lot of mail this route, so I didn't notice the problem until I didn't get the email to finish my registration process with this Forum. [This is solved, so please disregard]

Of course, I'm in the middle of several time-sensitive projects some of which the related mail is via Apple. I would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. I tried engaging Hardware Check by rebooting while depressing "d" and depressing "d + option as indicated on some forum threads. Neither worked.

Equipment:

OS = 10.7.4
13" MacBook circa 2008/2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo/6GB Ram

Only hardware problem I had was replacing the DVD Super Drive under AppleCare several years ago.

I look forward to any assistance offered, and thank you in advance.

Vercin

PS Got the Mail problem fixed, so just the one serious one left. Thanks!

PPS I realized I should have bee more explicit. What happens whenever I try Software Update from the Apple far-left menu is nothing. The update symbol bounced a few times, no window pops up. Right clicking on the symbol in the dock reveals the message that the program is not responding. If I try installing anything via double-clicking the DMG, the installation window does pop-up, indicates the the installation is being prepared, but the progress bar never advances. Cannot quit the installation program as it says the installer is busy...must Force Quit to exit. Drag-N-Drop installations seem to work OK, but in one instance a required Library directory was not created. This could be a Lion incompatibility, as this was a 2010 program.

Downloading updates via the "check fo updates" facility within a particular program, for example trying to update to the latest vers of iTunes from within iTunes, does not work. Tried, nothing happens - "Software Update Not Responding". Downloaded it manually, same as above - progress bar never advances. Hope this makes things clearer. I could really use the help.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
For starters Open Disk Utility and run Repair permissions and Verify Disk

How much free disk space do you have?

OP
V
Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for responding.

Sorry, I have done some things. I did repair permissions, but I have not run verify.Disc space = 139GB out of 312GB.

Vercin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.