Macbook Overheating Solution?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

When I use my Macbook for the long time (more than 2 hours), it generates heat and it is very hot, so that when I touch my finger on my Macbook (left side of the Macbook), it hurts my finger.

I think the temperature is about 60-70 Celcius.

Is there any method to decrease the temperature of the Macbook by using a cooler like most notebook does?

Also, I notice that my Macbook do not use a cooling fan, please cmiiw.

I check it by seeing the bottom part of my Macbook.

Note that this is my second Macbook after my first Macbook is totally dead.

Thank you

Me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
That is not overheating. As I write this, mine is 64 degrees C. Fans haven't even come on and yes, all three of my MacBooks have fans.

OP
M
Reaction score
That is not overheating. As I write this, mine is 64 degrees C. Fans haven't even come on and yes, all three of my MacBooks have fans.

If it is not called by the overheat, may I know what it called?

Also, can you please tell me where the location/position of the Macbook fans is?

Because when I see the bottom part of my Macbook, I was not able to find any fans because everything is closed by the case.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If it is not called by the overheat, may I know what it called?

It's called a warm MacBook...what else would it be called???;)

60-70 °C is not really abnormal...we get folks with temps of 80°C, 90°C, and higher.

Also, can you please tell me where the location/position of the Macbook fans is?

Because when I see the bottom part of my Macbook, I was not able to find any fans because everything is closed by the case.

The fan is inside the computer...you cannot see it without taking the computer apart.

Also...your computer cannot be getting that hot...since if it was REALLY getting HOT...you would be able to hear the fan running at high rpm's (it's VERY obvious...you wouldn't be able to miss it).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Also...your computer cannot be getting that hot...since if it was REALLY getting HOT...you would be able to hear the fan running at high rpm's (it's VERY obvious...you wouldn't be able to miss it).

- Nick

Why you are not believe me?

I am saying the truth.

I do not measure it (the temperature) using any equipment or a help of software.

I just guessing it because when I hold my hand on the surface, it hurts my hand.

It is not on the left side of my Macbook but the entire surface around the keyboard.

Also, I was not able to hear anything related to the fans.

Please trust me.

Btw, my Macbook is not the Pro one.

Like I was said, this is my second Macbook.

My first Macbook is totally dead.

The serviceman said the motherboard is dead.

So, I am afraid it will happened again to my current Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can look at iFixit for fan location. Depending on your MacBook the one or two fans are located at the back of the Mac behind the vent that runs along the base of the screen.

If a particular are of your Mac is getting hot it will correspond to the CPU, GPU or hard disk.

I suspect all is 'normal' as you've been advised but open up Activity Monitor and ssort on CPU usage and see if something is heavily using the processor.

Reaction score
It's called a warm MacBook...what else would it be called???;)

60-70 °C is not really abnormal...we get folks with temps of 80°C, 90°C, and higher.

The fan is inside the computer...you cannot see it without taking the computer apart.

- Nick

Lol, I think the OP doesn't mean "called" but "caused". :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol, I think the OP doesn't mean "called" but "caused". :p

You may very well be right:)...and that certainly would make a difference in the meaning of the OP's post...and how folks respond to it!

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I am sorry very much because actually my Macbook is the Pro one.

The previous is also the Pro one.

However, it is neither using a graphic card nor retina display.

Reaction score
Is it possible the OP's MacBook is running hot because his fans are not turning on?

He says he's estimating the temperature, not measuring it with, for instance, iStat.

Just a thought.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is it possible the OP's MacBook is running hot because his fans are not turning on?

He says he's estimating the temperature, not measuring it with, for instance, iStat.

Just a thought.

If the fans didn't run at all, it would turn itself off within seconds of being turned on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^I did not know that.

Thanks.

The fans inside a laptop are always running. From my experience...they seem to run at roughly about three different speed levels:

- slow speed, about 1600rpm, can hardly hear them
- medium speed, about 4000rpm, definitely can hear the fans
- high/max. speed, about 6000+rpm, the fans are screaming/very loud

- Nick

Reaction score
I don't hear 'em until 3500-ish. My normal running temp produces 1990-2001 rpm fan speed (I never do anything except surf the internet and word process).

Reaction score
I don't think any computer would run longer than a minute without the fans being turned on.

Ibanezi

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't hear 'em until 3500-ish. My normal running temp produces 1990-2001 rpm fan speed (I never do anything except surf the internet and word process).

Surfing the internet is not as "low demand" as you may think. Almost anytime you watch videos on the internet...the computer will start to heat or heat up big time (causing an increase in fan rpms):

- Embedded videos on news sites like MSN, CNN, NY Times, etc.
- Do-It-Yourself videos on various store websites like OWC, Newegg, Crucial, CDW, etc.
- Videos at Apple.com
- Just about any You-Tube video
- etc. etc.

- Nick

Reaction score
^^Yeah, I noticed that. I don't watch that many videos, but when I do, some of them get the MBP cooking and the fans spin at 4500-4800 rpm. Other videos and some streaming do not produce the same heat. Something to do with Flash, I believe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.