Ok to transport powerbook in sleep mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
I just got a new 12 in powerbook for Christmas. Love it so far. On my old pc, I heard that putting it in hibernate mode was only good if the computer was going to stay in the same place (on a desk) for the time it was hibernating. If I was going to pack it up in my backpack and walk to class, I should have shut it down to prevent damage to the hard drive. (not sure, just what I heard).

Does this apply to powerbooks at all? Can I just put it to sleep and load it up in my backpack and be good to go or does it need to be shut down completely when being transported?

Reaction score
I put my PowerBook to sleep all the time and transport it with me all the time-no problems thus far. I mean that is what a PowerBook is for...the mobility.

Now if you knew you was not going to be using it for an hour or longer-I would suggest shutting it down. But you shouldn't have any problems.

Reaction score
Ditto. Its a royal pain in the **** to shut it down for 15 minutes just to go from the library to cafe to grab lunch and have to fire it up again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I can't remember the last time I shutdown any of my computers and they are going strong.. I travelled with my laptop all over the world and have no problems, so I would say it's quite safe :)

D

DigitalN.

my iBook takes "too long" to start up. I love sleep becuase it is like shutting down except you RAM is still powered so you have Word or Firefox still open when you open it back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I leave my powerbook and power mac on all the time.. just sleep if neccessary, and I travel with my powerbook all the time, still going very strong, I never heard of any reason to suggest it wouldn't be either, so travel away my friend.. your computer will be fine.

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

Just make sure you wait for the white light to start pulsing that means the HD has stopped going and its safe to move your computer.

R

Redbull

I didn't think it was possible to carry your PB in sleep mode. Now I know!.

On the note of that, how many of you keep your PB connected to the charger temporarily when not in mobile use?

P

pixiepurls

I only charge it when it needs charging. So I work on it until it gets down to 2 minutes left, then I plug it in and continue working. It's ushually an indeicator I have been on the computer to long and should get off anyways, so I put it to sleep and let it finish charging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I do what pixiepurls does most of the time, but there are times I just remove the battery and run off the charger, so that it does not even touch the battery.

R

Redbull

Murlyn said:
Yeah I do what pixiepurls does most of the time, but there are times I just remove the battery and run off the charger, so that it does not even touch the battery.

You mean disengage the battery from the PB so it runs on the charger itself, without the battery connected. Couldn't that damage it? It sounds a good idea if you plan on using it as a desktop for while, while preserving the life of the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would that damage it? No it shouldn't damage it at all.. you take the battery out it doesn't damage the battery and the charger by itself is not going to ruin the computer.

D

DigitalN.

there should be battery indicator lights somewhere on the top of the iBooks and Powerbooks, it is a PITA to flip it over to see how much batter I have left when I am in a game or something.

R

Redbull

Murlyn said:
Why would that damage it? No it shouldn't damage it at all.. you take the battery out it doesn't damage the battery and the charger by itself is not going to ruin the computer.

Thanks. I'll try that in a moment. Is it ok to let the PB run on the charger itself for long periods of time? My PB is really a desktop computer until mid-2006. I was a bit concern that, if the battery isn't in engage, what would happen to when it comes to heating? It does get extremely hot with a battery, but without? A new PB battery isn't cheap, so it makes sense to connect it when you are mobile. What would you suggest?

I have only been a Mac users for six months and so far, I've been very impressed with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to run down the battery and then completely recharge at least once a month, other than that.. run off the charger. As far as I know and have experienced there is no problems whatsoever doing that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz 15.4" MBP 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
I too transport my PB in sleep mode all the time. I haven't had it for very long, but I did the same with my old iBook and have never had a problem either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.