Help, Windows boot option suddenly gone

Reaction score
So just now I was running Win7 on my MacBook Pro, when I got the briefest of messages that said "Malicious software detected" or similar. Then, my computer immediately restarted itself, and I am now unable to select my Windows partition to boot. Holding down option only shows me my OSX partition. All the files are still there, I can see them and open them, but I cannot choose to boot in Windows. How can I fix this?

UPDATE: Choosing Windows boot in SysPref results in "No bootable device" error. Ran a system restore from Win7 disc, recognized a restore point from earlier today, ended with successful operation. But, still no change - still unable to boot windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to proper forum.

It looks like you contracted a Windows virus that possibly infected the boot sector. Restoring won't help in that case since system restore in Windows does not include the boot sector or the system boot files. Most likely you'll need to reinstall Windows. Save what data you can from the Windows partition and reinstall.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for putting it where it belonged.

Was afraid of that. Tried rebuilding bootloader through command line to no avail. Everything seems to work perfectly fine, can't find any problems, chkdsk runs clean. It just... won't... boot.

At the very least, I can easily salvage my files through the OSX partition. Just such an annoyance to rebuild everything from the ground up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.