• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

AppleCare freezes over-the-phone password resets in wake of hacking incident

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Not so much 'hacking' as 'social engineering', but this is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Definitely good. With all of the ways in which a person has their information spread across multiple protocols and tech centers, this should have been a no-no in the first place.

I'm now starting to wonder if this blogger set this up to begin with, in order to expose things.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", Core i7, 4GB Memory, 256GB SSD
Should Apple implement a two factor authentication system for any password or account billing changes?

This seems to be the way Google, Yahoo, Microsoft are attempting to eliminate this type of "social engineering" attack.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Should Apple implement a two factor authentication system for any password or account billing changes?
Without hesitation. Sure, some people don't have mobile phones but most do and given that it doesn't really impede people from logging in to any service on a regular basis, this should be a no-brainer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Without hesitation. Sure, some people don't have mobile phones but most do and given that it doesn't really impede people from logging in to any service on a regular basis, this should be a no-brainer.

Don't even need a mobile phone. They allow you to add as many numbers as you want, and you can authenticate via a voice call as well. I've tried this and it works great.

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I didn't know you could do it through voice calls (every service I've used has been text message based).

It's by no means a perfect system since it's very possible that someone could have your cell phone and your password but at least the phone can be easily disabled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.