Migration/Setup Assistant Can Not Find TM Drive

Reaction score
Hi Mac Forums, long-time lurker, first-time poster - I really need help on this one.

I just received my new MBP-R (10.8) and I'm trying to migrate from my external Time Machine disk where I was backing up my 2008 MBP Core 2 Duo (10.7.4). I have the TM drive connected to the new machine via USB. When I tell the Setup Assistant to transfer from a drive the next screen just shows a spinning grey wheel and is "looking for other computers" indefinitely. It is unable to find my TM drive. Strangely enough, when I disconnect the drive I get the "improper removal" dialogue which indicates that the drive is indeed being mounted.

After repairing the TM Drive in Disk Utility on my old machine and several more failed attempts at migrating and a long conversation with a Senior Tech at Apple, I went ahead with the setup process and created a new user account without migrating hoping that I would be able to diagnose the problem with a fully set-up computer (I'll deal with multiple-user issues later). I can see the TM drive in the finder of the new MBP as well as all the backup files, but when I run Migration Assistant, it still is unable to find the drive. I'm out of options and really don't want to manually transfer files and have to re-import all my audio and image files to iTunes/iPhoto. I'm out of options, any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Here's a potential solution - connect your previous MBP in Target disk mode, then do the Migration from that.

If you don't have a suitable cable/adapter, then remove the old disk from the previous MBP, put it in an external caddy, then connect that to the new MBPR

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.