General questions from a potential Mac user!

N

nipun49

I'm looking at the new iMac G5 with great interest. My cousins have Apple Macs (PowerMacs, respectively), and I've been nearly convinced to purchase a new iMac for myself.

However, I've been a PC user all my life. It's not the transition that has me thinking, but I have some questions about comparisons.

I play computer games once in a while, and I'm aware some of my favorite games (UT2K4 and RCT3, I believe) can run on Mac OS X. I know these can run on my current BFG 6600 GT OC, but I was wondering how it would compare in performance to the iMac's X600 XT. Slower? Faster?

I was also wondering if this current time is a good time to purchase a Mac. Is there any special season where Macs get upgrades? Or when Macs get bundled with free offers? I've heard something about the PowerPC to Intel switch, and I'm unsure if this is good or bad.

My third question is if the Apple customer care plan is worth getting. I've heard Macs are more stable, but I'm not sure if I need a "warranty", especially since I'm a first-time user. I question the plan because of its rather high cost.

My final question is if the iMac is as easy to modify RAM as it is on a PC. A PC simply involves clicking a stick in place. With an iMac, I'm unsure if it's even possible to modify at all. Would I be able to add another stick of RAM in there safely?

Thank you to whomever answers these questions! Much appreciated. :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i'm not sure about the gaming or the ram. but the intel switch is just a personal choice. it could be that they have a few problems with the new processors, that they have to sort out. but then again it could be that they are superb and no problems.

not sure about the other questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
nipun49 said:
I play computer games once in a while, and I'm aware some of my favorite games (UT2K4 and RCT3, I believe) can run on Mac OS X. I know these can run on my current BFG 6600 GT OC, but I was wondering how it would compare in performance to the iMac's X600 XT. Slower? Faster?
I find that games run about the same (speed wise) on Macs and PCs. If you find that the game is running a tad slow for you, you can go into System Preferences and put the processor to highest in Energy Saver.

I was also wondering if this current time is a good time to purchase a Mac. Is there any special season where Macs get upgrades? Or when Macs get bundled with free offers? I've heard something about the PowerPC to Intel switch, and I'm unsure if this is good or bad.
Now is a good time to buy, the iMac was just updated. There are rumours of Intel iMacs in January but they are just rumours.

My third question is if the Apple customer care plan is worth getting. I've heard Macs are more stable, but I'm not sure if I need a "warranty", especially since I'm a first-time user. I question the plan because of its rather high cost.
I Would suggest buying the Protection Plan simply because if something goes wrong after your one year guarantee is up repair costs can really hurt. You don't have to buy the Protection Plan right away, you can buy it anytime in your first year of owning the computer.

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
nipun49 said:
I'm looking at the new iMac G5 with great interest. My cousins have Apple Macs (PowerMacs, respectively), and I've been nearly convinced to purchase a new iMac for myself.

However, I've been a PC user all my life. It's not the transition that has me thinking, but I have some questions about comparisons.

My final question is if the iMac is as easy to modify RAM as it is on a PC. A PC simply involves clicking a stick in place. With an iMac, I'm unsure if it's even possible to modify at all. Would I be able to add another stick of RAM in there safely?

Thank you to whomever answers these questions! Much appreciated. :dive:
Essentially,
all you need to do is lay your iMac down on it's screen (with something under it to protect it), un-do a few screws, and pop a ram stick in. Simple as that...

Unless you need to replace the original ram...

OP
F

ForeverG5

The new iMac has 512MB RAM on the motherboard and a open slot which can hold up to 2GB. :)

OP
D

DigitalN.

ForeverG5 said:
The new iMac has 512MB RAM on the motherboard and a open slot which can hold up to 2GB. :)
yeah except that 2GB RAM stick is almost 1500 bucks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
DigitalN. said:
yeah except that 2GB RAM stick is almost 1500 bucks
From Apple.... It's A LOT cheeper if you buy it from someone else like CompUSA or other local computer store.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
N

nipun49

Thanks for the answers guys. So do you think I should wait for the Intel chips to come through or get a PowerPC iMac?

OP
F

ForeverG5

Well, I am struggling with this question as well, nipun. However, I do think that the G5 has been around and there are no bugs in them and they are very fast. The Intels will probably be buggy and a bit slower, unless they make the Intel iMac dual processors.

OP
N

nipun49

ForeverG5 said:
Well, I am struggling with this question as well, nipun. However, I do think that the G5 has been around and there are no bugs in them and they are very fast. The Intels will probably be buggy and a bit slower, unless they make the Intel iMac dual processors.

Thanks for the feedback. My last question is when will these Intel Macs replace the current PowerPC's? I'm kind of afraid I may purchase my iMac (if and when) too late. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.