• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Minimum Specs required to Edit HD Video

Reaction score
I'm looking for the minimum specs I would need to efficiently edit some HD video. The video was shot by Sanyo Xacti FH1 in "Full-HR" mode (1920x1080 60fps HR). The files are MPEG-4 AVC/H.264. I have at least 15 hours worth to edit (150+ GB).

I need to do this as cheaply as possible. It can be a laptop or a desktop. I assume I'll use imovie or final cut to edit. Please list suggestions for processor, ram, gfx card, etc.

Thanks! :D

D.

C

chas_m

Any current Mac should be able to handle this. It should go without saying that you will likely want one with a fairly beefy video card, so the iMac or the MacBook Pro would be my main suggestions. On either one, you are going to want to have a LOT of RAM in there (8GB or better).

As for which editing program you should use, that greatly depends on what you're going to end up doing with it. I'm inclined to suggest Final Cut Pro X as this doesn't sound like a "personal use" type project.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.