Vertical hard shel case for MBP 15"

Reaction score
Hello all i didnt see a macbook accessory forum,

I need a hard shell case to place inside my different backpacks and bags that allows for vertical insertion of my 15" macbook pro. I would like the case to have some shock protection and rigidity.

I currently run a speck case on the mac book but it isn't providing enough organization/ protection inside my bag.

I carry multiple hard things and it is only a matter of time before my macbook gets destroyed.

1. I need something that holds its form when the macbook is NOT in the case/sleeve,
2. I need the case/sleeve to allow for vertical insertion
3. the end goal is to have a product that will allow for fast safe insertion and removal of the macbook when the backpack is full of gear.

So please, if you all have any recommendations i would appreciate it, links as well.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Don't know of many hard shell sleeves - only hard shell cases - like your Speck. Most sleeves are soft sided with foam padding. I would think trying to have a hard sided sleeve would be difficult/prone to breakage. Most sleeves are also more form fitting - so that the computer doesn't move around too much in them. From what you are describing - it sounds like you need an organizational pocket of some sort.

So - I know of some horizontal sleeves that I like
MacBook Sleeve

Etsy has some soft sided vertical sleeves
15 inch Apple Macbook Pro laptop Sleeve Case by WeirdOldSnail
macbook 15" sleeve on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace.

Booq has some harder sided cases that are zippered - so you should be able to use them vertically
Sleeves for my Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch (unibody) by booq

Incipio makes some zippered padded cases as well
MacBook Cases | MacBook Pro 13" Cases | MacBook Pro 15" Cases | MacBook Pro 17" Cases | MacBook White Unibody 13" Cases | MacBook Air 13" Cases | MacBook Air 11" Cases

Maybe someone else has some other ideas - but I have not seen anything like what you are looking for. After dealing with hard sided cases - like speck and incipio make - I wouldn't think a hard sided sleeve would last too long without a Macbook inside of it.

Of course there is the bookbook - then your laptop is just another book in your bag
BookBook Case - BookBook Case - Twelve South

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No one here!?

You're not getting many responses...because I'm not sure that the product you described/need exists. I don't think that I've ever heard or have seen a vertical hard-sided sleeve that sits inside of a compartment of a computer bag/backpack.

This does't 100% mean that it doesn't exist...but if they do...it's a VERY rare "animal".

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Excellent suggestions so far.

I have found a case made by Thule for the 13" Macbook that is semi hard and 3/4 zip which would work in a pinch if they made it for the 15"

I would be happy with a semi hard case as long as it meets the criteria in the op. Thankyou for your time though keep the suggestions comming

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

This really wasn't what I was envisioning as a "hard shell case". It's really more of a soft/neoprene sleeve with firmer sides.

To be honest...I'm really confused why you need so much protection. You mentioned that you already have a Speck hard shell case on your 15" MacBook Pro. I have a Speck hard shell case on my 17" MacBook Pro...and I cannot imagine needing more protection than that when my MacBook Pro is placed in a padded compartment of a computer bag or backpack.

The Speck hard shell case is made of a relatively thick hard plastic...that completely envelopes the computer...so it totally protects a computer from almost any sort of "bumps & bruises" a computer might see while in a computer bag.

You also mentioned carrying "multiple hard things" in your bag. I still cannot imagine if a computer (in a Speck Hard Shell case) is inserted in a padded compartment of the typical computer bad or backpack...that it needs more protection. The computer already has two layers of protection while ion the computer bag...the padded compartment...and the Speck hard shell case.

Heck...you could be carrying several solid iron bars/ingots in a backpack...and as long as the computer is in a Speck hard shell case (inside the padded compartment of a computer bag)...that should be PLENTY of protection!:)

Maybe instead of another sleeve...you need a better computer bag/computer backpack!:)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
To answer your questions, and to illustrate my needs better, most my packs aren't specifically designed for laptops more of the milspec variety. hint hint

The end goal is to more or less MAKE a laptop bag out of issued gear. This is where is gets interesting. Most our gear is top load type carry all. I figured I could load the laptop against my back plate and then stack everything else around it. For the standard user i can see why this is overkill but my gear gets tossed around quite a bit and the pelican case takes up too much space, plus it weights too much.

"Heck...you could be carrying several solid iron bars/ingots in a backpack...and as long as the computer is in a Speck hard shell case (inside the padded compartment of a computer bag)...that should be PLENTY of protection!:)"

That is funny Nick, you are pretty close to dead on with that statement.

I will keep looking though and let you know what I find.

A buddy of mine has a buddy(yeah i know) that said he can make me a kydex setup that might be worth getting. Kydex is a hard light weight polymer used to make weapon sheaths and mag carriers.

I appreciate the input though

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To answer your questions, and to illustrate my needs better, most my packs aren't specifically designed for laptops more of the milspec variety. hint hint

The end goal is to more or less MAKE a laptop bag out of issued gear.

Ahh...I can understand how (if you're not currently using a specifically deigned computer bag or backpack)...and you're trying to make something you're issued work more like a laptop bag...then I can see how you might need more protection. Thanks for clearing that up!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FOUND something perfect,

unfortunately i cant find where to order it it appears they are sold out

istuff - innovative products

Ahh yes...that does seem to be exactly what you described wanting/needing!!!:) Of course now you/we need to find something similar...or somewhere else selling it.

Have you tried e-Bay or Amazon yet? Now that you know the name of the device (and manufacturer)...either place may sell it new or used...and you can search each site using the product name or manufacturers name.:)

Good luck...let us know if you find one!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.