Issues testing newly installed memory...help?

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm installed 16gb of RAM in my 2011 MacBook Pro. My computer crashed for the first time every shortly after putting the new RAM in. So...I figured I should test the memory. I've odne the following:

1) Ran Apple Hardware Test...passed

2) Ran 'memtest'...passed

3) Attempted to run memtest86...but shortly after beginning the test, the MacBook spontaneously reboots with no errors or messages or anything.

4) Attempted to run memtest86+...but it freezes after saying it ran into a interrupt error

I don't have Mac's TechTool Deluxe to run their memory test. Does anyone know how to get memtest86 and memtest86+ to work on my laptop?

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you return the old RAM and see if the MBP behaves better and also runs the memtest86 and memtest86+ tests without failing?

Is the new RAM a reputable name?

OP
M
Reaction score
Can you return the old RAM and see if the MBP behaves better and also runs the memtest86 and memtest86+ tests without failing?

Is the new RAM a reputable name?

The memory is Corsair. I still have my old memory at home, so I can swap and see. I was hoping to test while at work. I might take one of the two 8gb modules and try to test one at a time? Not sure...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Trying one at a time is also good, you don't need to have the pair installed..that might isolate the issue to one of them stick..

OP
M
Reaction score
Trying one at a time is also good, you don't need to have the pair installed..that might isolate the issue to one of them stick..

Haven't had time to open up macbook yet at work. But I did find this thread:

How to test new RAM? - MacRumors Forums

Seems many users have had the same issue as me. Are there any other memory tests besides AHT, memtest, memtest86, and memtest86+?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.