USB on macbook pro 2011

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a macbook pro 2011. I have transferred some pictures into my WD passport (macbook version) and brought it into a photography shop for digital printing today but the staff was unable to open the files (none of my files are viewable, since the operating system of the computers is windows, I assume)

However, when I got back, I quickly plugged in my external hard disk to check if any files are missing. After that, I tried to transfer the pictures into a USB pen drive, so that the pictures can be viewed at the shop for digital printing. The problem now starts, as the USB drive can only be READ only, which is strange, because I was still able to edit my files on the same USB drive before. (yesterday, same day etc)

I tried to erase that USB pen drive on disk utility but all options are greyed out.
What's wrong??

THanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
can you post a screenshot from disk utiliy?

I'd suggest you need to re-partition and format the pendrive by select the pendrive at 'disk' level not partition level

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
With the drive selected (in your screenshot) go to the erase tab and select msdos fat as the format

OP
R
Reaction score
no I couldn't. All options are greyed out (refers to the screenshots), sorry that the images could not be viewd but I believe they can be now :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What sort of flash drive do you have?

Does it have a write protect tab/switch?

OP
R
Reaction score
unfortunately no :( is there nothing that I can do about it?
I'm just really surprised how the USB pendrive becomes READ ONLY out of a sudden :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have another machine you can try it in?

OP
R
Reaction score
ya I tried it on my brother's desktop (windows) but I also failed to reformat it because it is READ ONLY according to the warning message

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then there's either a write protect switch or the device is failing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.