The problem with iPhoto

Reaction score
The problem with iPhoto, as I see it, is it does not allow one to have a hierarchy of albums/folders. Say, for example, I'd like to have a folder of Vacations. Under Vacations I'd like to have a dozen trips and each trip might have 200-300 photos in each trip. The idea of having to go in a type "vacation" on every picture is absurd. There appears to be no way to really do this, meaning iPhoto is a toy applications not meant for today's digital cameras that can produce hundreds of photos during one excursion. I liked Picassa on the PC a lot, but am reluctant to stray from the Apple app, as it usually winds up biting you in the butt. This is one of my disappointments to moving back to the Mac. BTW, manually implementing this as some on this thread have suggested is waaaaay too labor intensive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
with tags you won't need to - you can put e.g. vacation as a label and then the special place you've been to. beside that you can also create different libraries and choose which one to open when you open iphoto

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I highly recommed iPhoto, the Missing Manual by David Pogue.

Caveat: I no longer use iPhoto, switched to Aperture several years ago, but from what I remember, and still see on the infrequent occasions I open iPhoto, is the Sidebar where you can create and organize folders to your hearts content. Combine this with ability to create and switch to additional Libraries along with the use of Smart Albums and there are few organizational needs that can't be accomdated.
For those that can't there are other choices, including Aperture, Adobe Lightroom or Picassa for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 32gb iPhone 3GS, 2gb shuffle
I do it... I like to sort my pictures by year, then the month. It took a bit, but I finally have everything nice and organized

OP
W
Reaction score
I finally bailed on iPhoto and returned to Picasa, which I am familiar with from the PC. I just don't like the way iPhoto handles organization.

OP
W
Reaction score
@chas_m. Well, I was never allowed to drag one album into another. I don't remember iPhoto using the term, folder. Anyway, after spending some time trying to organize my photos in iPhoto, I returned to Picasa that I was already familiar with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.