New hard drive

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Macbook pro early 2011, with a 500 gb of storage. I want to get a 1 tb internal drive for my computer but I don't know what drives would be compatible and which would be best. Can you recomend a couple drives for me? And what would be the best way to install.
Side note how can I transfer all the contents of my current drive to the new one?

Thanks Adam.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most 1 TB drives are too thick to properly fit and be able to cool in a MacBook or MacBook Pro. There are several, however, which will fit. Take a look at what Other World Computing has: LINK

Note: The drive must be 2.5" wide and not more than 9.5 MM thick. And of course SATA.

Reaction score
Hi all,I have a Macbook pro early 2011, with a 500 gb of storage. I want to get a 1 tb internal drive for my computer but I don't know what drives would be compatible and which would be best. Can you recomend a couple drives for me?
Anything from Ramjet, Other World Computing or MCE will do.

And what would be the best way to install.
Correctly.

But seriously - there's really only one way they go in. Just pop the top and see how it is in there - put the new one in the same way. Takes less than five minutes. Last week I replaced a hard drive, pulled the optical drive and replaced it with a data doubler w/2nd hard drive, and replaced memory, all in under 10 minutes total start to finish.

Side note how can I transfer all the contents of my current drive to the new one?
Use SuperDuper! to clone one drive to the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The only thing to bare in mind is that I've yet to see a 1TB 7200 2.5" 9.5mm hard drive, or at least from Seagate, WD and Hitachi. All I looked at last week were 5400 or 5200rpm. Seagate make some nice, and much more expensive 7200rpm 1TB 2.5" drives, but they won't fit, far too deep.

OP
A
Reaction score
anynamewilldo, I have a backup of my drive on a time capsule, would it be possible for me to use that to back it up? I'm trying to spend the least amount of money possible.

Reaction score
anynamewilldo, I have a backup of my drive on a time capsule, would it be possible for me to use that to back it up?
I dunno, I don't use a time capsule (or time machine).

I'm trying to spend the least amount of money possible.
One reason why I use SuperDuper! - you can use it for free. A lot cheaper than a time capsule :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Time machine is free software that comes with your Mac. However it does not capture your OS, Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper both do that. Tima Machine keeps a running (hourly) backup of all your data on an external HDD or SSD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's the same drive I gave you the link to in my reply. Don't trust what I told you? :Not-Amused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.