My new hard drive isn't appearing on my macbook

Reaction score
I have a new 2TB iomega hard drive. When I put it on my mac for the first time it appeared but i couldn't put my files on it, so i went to disc utility and reformatted the hard drive to work for a mac. This time I put my files on it and I wanted to make sure they were really there, so i ejected the hard drive removed it from my mac and turned the power off. I turned the power on again and plugged it in again but this time my drive didn't show up, not in the desktop, not in the side panel and not even in disk utility. So please help what should I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This time I put my files on it and I wanted to make sure they were really there, so i ejected the hard drive removed it from my mac and turned the power off.

I'm not sure I understand why you removed the hard drive from the MacBook after you had it setup and ready? And you pulled the drive out while the power was on?

I turned the power on again and plugged it in again but this time my drive didn't show up, not in the desktop, not in the side panel and not even in disk utility. So please help what should I do?

You turned the power on and then plugged the hard drive in? If that's really what you did, you may have zapped your new hard drive. You can't hot swap hard drives without damaging them.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand why you removed the hard drive from the MacBook after you had it setup and ready? And you pulled the drive out while the power was on?
I did that because I always to be sure so i did that

you turned the power on and then plugged the hard drive in? If that's really what you did, you may have zapped your new hard drive. You can't hot swap hard drives without damaging them.
so does that mean i can't use my hard drive any more?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
so does that mean i can't use my hard drive any more?

Well, if you pulled that drive out and then put it back in while the power was on, it's likely a dead drive now. There's delicate electronics on the drive. And no, you can't use a dead drive. Call iOmega and see if they will accept the drive back as a return and issue a RMA. I doubt they will RMA it since it was your fault the drive failed. But give them a call anyway.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, if you pulled that drive out and then put it back in while the power was on, it's likely a dead drive now. There's delicate electronics on the drive. And no, you can't use a dead drive. Call iOmega and see if they will accept the drive back as a return and issue a RMA. I doubt they will RMA it since it was your fault the drive failed. But give them a call anyway.
Actually I unplugged it, turned it off, gave it about a minute, turned it on again then plugged it in, so it wasn't on the whole time, so is it really dead? and it still turns on

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said above, if you plugged that drive in or out while the power was on, it likely zapped the electronics on the drive. A good indication that it's dead is the fact that it doesn't mount and the system can't see it. Can you feel the drive while it's in the MacBook and tell if it's spinning? In other words, any vibration at all or sound from the drive?

OP
A
Reaction score
Like I said above, if you plugged that drive in or out while the power was on, it likely zapped the electronics on the drive. A good indication that it's dead is the fact that it doesn't mount and the system can't see it. Can you feel the drive while it's in the MacBook and tell if it's spinning? In other words, any vibration at all or sound from the drive?
yea, i can still feel it spinning. there are both vibration and sound

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, maybe you got lucky and didn't destroy the drive. Make sure the drive is plugged in tight and sitting in the cavity. Also make sure the rubber spacers on either side of the drive did not come out of the cavity otherwise the drive will not line up correctly with the SATA connector.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK, maybe you got lucky and didn't destroy the drive. Make sure the drive is plugged in tight and sitting in the cavity. Also make sure the rubber spacers on either side of the drive did not come out of the cavity otherwise the drive will not line up correctly with the SATA connector.
yea, i did that before but it stilll wouldn't show up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I have a new 2TB iomega hard drive. When I put it on my mac for the first time it appeared but i couldn't put my files on it, so i went to disc utility and reformatted the hard drive to work for a mac. This time I put my files on it and I wanted to make sure they were really there, so i ejected the hard drive removed it from my mac and turned the power off. I turned the power on again and plugged it in again but this time my drive didn't show up, not in the desktop, not in the side panel and not even in disk utility. So please help what should I do?

There may be some confusion here, this is an external drive? I suspect so, as Iomega only make external drives, not bare drives as Seagate, WD etc. Since the new drive didn't mount, have you tried it in another port on your Mac? Do you have a spare interface cable suitable for the drive?

OP
A
Reaction score
There may be some confusion here, this is an external drive? I suspect so, as Iomega only make external drives, not bare drives as Seagate, WD etc.:) Since the new drive didn't mount, have you tried it in another port on your Mac? Do you have a spare interface cable suitable for the drive?
yea, it's an external drive and i tried it in both ports since my mac only has two. and no i don't have another cable

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There may be some confusion here, this is an external drive? I suspect so, as Iomega only make external drives, not bare drives as Seagate, WD etc.

Good catch Steve. For some reason, I thought we were dealing with an internal drive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Based upon whats been reported here, it's more likely the new Iomega drive has died. The only reason I mentioned substituting the USB cable if you had access to a spare, was as some years ago I bought a couple of 500GB Lacie USB drives, and both cables failed within a week. They were thin and flimsy, more like bad eBay products. A final check would be to try mounting the drive on another Mac if you have access to one..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was just going to say but Steve beat me to the punch. Iomega does not make nor sell internal hard drives. It's an External so doing what he did should have not hurt it UNLESS he shut it off without Un-mounting it first. Even then it should show in Disk Utility.

You are checking each time you plug it in under Disk Utility I take it?

OP
A
Reaction score
yea, i've tried every port and still nothing and evey time i checkef disk utility and it wasn't there

OP
A
Reaction score

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Try in finder or use different usb port see it shows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do not double post or cross post. I've merged your posts together with your original thread. Always post back to the original thread and do not create a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.