• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVCHD compression format

Reaction score
I was interested in purchasing a Sony HDR-PJ260V camcorder but will I have any issues with the AVCHD compression format in iMovie? I don't want to loose any video quality while editing.

C

chas_m

I believe both iMovie and iPhoto have recently been updated to better handle AVCHD. If you don't want to lose any quality while editing, import your video as Apple Intermediate Codec or DV format and edit in that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro i7 2,4 Ghz + MacBook Pro 2,6 Ghz 15" - iMac 27" i5 2,7 Ghz - Cinema Display 24" - ATV 16
I edit movies in Final Cut Pro X and have the same issue with old footage from a AVCHD-source which is not supported. So I bought the little app ClipWRAP. It re-wraps your AVCHD-files in to a mov-container without transcoding and therefore doesnt make any changes to the quality of your footage. It takes seconds for a clip to convert.

Check it out: ClipWrap: Easy AVCHD and HDV conversion for the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I was interested in purchasing a Sony HDR-PJ260V camcorder but will I have any issues with the AVCHD compression format in iMovie? I don't want to loose any video quality while editing.
As chas says, AVCHD is not a problem, however, going by the number of topics on the subject, getting your Sony camcorder to work with a Mac may well be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro i7 2,4 Ghz + MacBook Pro 2,6 Ghz 15" - iMac 27" i5 2,7 Ghz - Cinema Display 24" - ATV 16
The only problem is that Cowgirl will loose quality if AVCHD is imported from the camera to iMovie. When importing iMovie is transcoding the files and thereby reduces quality. My suggestion is - if the camera or storage media in the camera can be attached to a mac as a drive - to lift the original files into the computer.

So the workflow is without loosing quality due to transcoding:

1) Copy original files directly from the camera to a folder on the mac
2) rewrap with with ClipWrap in to a mov-container
3) now import the mov-files into iMovie

Does it make sense?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.