Re-Installing Mac OS X Leopard through Windows 7 (Boot Camp Partition)

Reaction score
Dear Mac Forum Users
I have a 2009 19' iMac and the last few days i've been encountering kind of a huge problem with my Mac OS X Partition. One day when I wanted to restart and go back to Mac, I restarted, and then the Apple Logo showed and the circle thingy below it and it kept showing that forever. Decided to restart a couple of times, but still nothing happened. I searched all over the world for a solution, but trust me EVERYTHING failed.:( So please don't reply try to give me solutions to THIS problem. My question is:
If i go to Disk Management in WINDOWS 7 through Boot Camp, Format the Mac Partition to HFS from there, is there a way to Install Mac OS X via the Mac OS X Leopard Retail DVD? I'm quite scared to do it since I have no idea what i would do afterwards, and I don't want to stay without a Mac:'( Please help me ASAP!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is:
If i go to Disk Management in WINDOWS 7 through Boot Camp, Format the Mac Partition to HFS from there, is there a way to Install Mac OS X via the Mac OS X Leopard Retail DVD? I'm quite scared to do it since I have no idea what i would do afterwards, and I don't want to stay without a Mac Please help me ASAP!

You can not use Disk Management in Windows to format, or for that matter, to do anything with your OS X partition. The simple reason is that Windows will be unable to "see" or read\write to the OS X partition.

You need to boot the iMac from your Leopard DVD, run verify and repair from Disk Utility off the DVD. If the hard drive is defective it will show up there. And if that's the case, the hard drive will have to be replaced.

If you have neglected to make backups, you will lose all your data and applications that are on the OS X partition.

OP
K
Reaction score
You can not use Disk Management in Windows to format, or for that matter, to do anything with your OS X partition. The simple reason is that Windows will be unable to "see" or read\write to the OS X partition.

You need to boot the iMac from your Leopard DVD, run verify and repair from Disk Utility off the DVD. If the hard drive is defective it will show up there. And if that's the case, the hard drive will have to be replaced.

If you have neglected to make backups, you will lose all your data and applications that are on the OS X partition.

Well, trying to boot the iMac from my Leopard DVD has failed. Holding down ''C'' makes the iMac restart even before the apple logo is showed, and when i let go of it it just gets frozen there. Holding down ''Alt'' to see all the disks and then clicking on the Leopard DVD boots up Mac OS X normally and again, gets frozen there. bump

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.