Lost screw in Power Mac G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Hey I was replacing my graphics card when I was putting the only screw I needed to unscrew back it fell somewhere and I can't see it anywhere. I have a small idea of where it is but I can unscrew the small screws to check. Will this screw do any harm? I have three other screws that I can use to replace it and I'm going to a hardware store to get another one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Will this screw do any harm?

Yes...it very well may cause harm. Those screws are made of metal...and if the computer is turned on...or if the screw shifts it's location...it very well could short out a couple of circuits on logic board or elsewhere...and could result in totally trashing the computer.

Find that screw!!!

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...it very well may cause harm. Those screws are made of metal...and if the computer is turned on...or if the screw shifts it's location...it very well could short out a couple of circuits on logic board or elsewhere...and could result in totally trashing the computer.

Find that screw!!!

- Nick
Ok I found it! Would it be too much of a risk to make a paper clip magnetic and get it? I don't think it's close to any motherboard parts.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I found it! Would it be too much of a risk to make a paper clip magnetic and get it? I don't think it's close to any motherboard parts.

I don't know exactly where the screw is stuck...but personally...I would stay away from:

- anything metal
- anything magnetic
- definitely have the computer unplugged
- and ground yourself out by wearing a wrist grounding strap or by touching the case of the power supply

I try to find something wooden or plastic to "fish" the screw out.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know exactly where the screw is stuck...but personally...I would stay away from:

- anything metal
- anything magnetic
- definitely have the computer unplugged
- and ground yourself out by wearing a wrist grounding strap or by touching the case of the power supply

I try to find something wooden or plastic to "fish" the screw out.

Good luck,:)

- Nick
That sucks.. Would you like me to upload a picture of where it fell and then a picture of what it looks like on the outside? I think it's impossible to fish it out but if a paper clip was magnetic I may be able to get it out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sucks.. Would you like me to upload a picture of where it fell and then a picture of what it looks like on the outside? I think it's impossible to fish it out but if a paper clip was magnetic I may be able to get it out.

Hey...anything helps (photo). But what I would suggest (if possible)...is lay the computer on the side where the screw is stuck. This way...as you fish it out...it won't fall deeper into things.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was able to get it out by turning it upside down!! :) Thanks for your help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was able to get it out by turning it upside down!! :) Thanks for your help!

I thought that maybe you had already tried that. That would have been the first thing I would have tried!;)

Congrats getting it out!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.