So I Upgraded To ML And Have Lost Most Of My Battery Capacity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2011, 2.53 I5, 600gb Intel SSD, 8g ram, OS 10.8.2, 27" Display
I installed ML, the very next day I noticed my battery drained completely in about an hour and 45 min from a 100% charge. My user habits did not change, I did not install any new apps, this was an abrupt change in my MBP that happened immediately after the upgrade, not a gradual decrease over time. I never had battery issues before.

I called Apple, they said they were unaware of any battery issues. I of course had already been to the forums and had seen the reports from a multitude of users complaining about the same thing.

The tech had me reset the SMC and then reset the PRAM.

That did change things slightly, I gained aprox one more hour of battery time, however, no where near the 7-8 hours I normally would have on battery.

I called back yesterday and they recommended I go to the Genius Bar.

I did notice a new symptom this morning, my MBP feels like there is a cd running in the drive, in other words, when I place my hand on the machine, I feel a kind of vibration as if there were a disc in there running.This is new, never felt that before.

Fan speeds are normal (aprox 1950 rpm's on both) where they have always run.

CPU processes are normal, nothing standing out in the activity monitor.

My battery health has already gone down to 95% from 99% in just a few days. At this rate, in a matter of weeks, it seems my battery will be done.

MY PORTABLE MACHINE IS NOT PORTABLE ANY MORE !!!!

Has anyone out there actually resolved this issue?

I suspect this is going to be a huge problem for Apple, if your having this problem, you need to make Apple aware of it so they can quickly come up with a patch to fix it. I'm guessing the more complaints they get, the higher up the food chain will come the solution.

Thanks to All,

OP
VetteTec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did make an appointment for the Genius bar today in about an hour.

Will keep you guys posted.

OP
VetteTec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The funny thing is, 3 phone calls to Apple and each tech said I was the first complaint they had heard of.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The funny thing is, 3 phone calls to Apple and each tech said I was the first complaint they had heard of.

Please keep us posted on your appointment and what happens. Good luck.

OP
VetteTec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Went to the Apple store, after running the diagnostics, they said my MBP was running with no hardware problem. The classic part of this was during the diagnostic cycle, you could literally watch the the battery percentage drop, in 20 minutes time, it dropped about 15%. There was no dispute that my machine has a problem. Bottom line, after it was all said and done, the resolution was that either I wait for an update, perform a clean install of ML, or a clean install of Lion. They would do it right there for me. I chose to do a clean install of Lion being that it was working just fine before the upgrade.

Since then, I have restored backup, and brought my machine back to where it was before the ML upgrade.

Bad news is, still have the battery problem. Just in the time it took to write this post, I dropped 12% of battery life !!!

So I guess I need a firmware update. Don't know, Apple doesn't know either.

Thumbs down for now.

Any thoughts?

OP
VetteTec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I have to wait for an update, and since my battery life is no better off right now with Lion, might as well wait with better OS and install ML again........

OP
VetteTec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought I would update everyone, updated to 10.8.1 the other day, battery back to normal. I would even venture to say, it seems even better than before. THANKS APPLE !!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.