Crash when installing Mountain lion

Reaction score
ok, i got a mbp early 2011, and i decided to install mountain lion.
but when the installer starts, it crashes at the beginning of the installation, when it crashes its says: OS X mountain Lion could not be installed because Mac OS X is damaged and could not be repaired, What to do? :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you do any prep on your Mac before attempting to install? There's a bit of maintenance to do before you get started. In particular...

1) Back up. If you haven't already done this, then set aside plans to upgrade until you can.

2) Run basic disk maintenance in Disk Utility. Select Macintosh HD in the left pane and then the First Aid tab on the right pane. Run Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Permissions.

3) Download Onyx and run the tasks under the Automation tab.

4) Download AppFresh and get your third-party, non-Mac App Store apps up to date.

5) If all else fails, check the Mac-Forums Mountain Lion Guide for details on doing a clean install.

OP
J
Reaction score
No, i didnt, was so excited to get mountain lion installed, do you have any idea how to get back to leopard? cuz every time start the computer now its starts the installation, ive tried to to pick start disc, but it wont let me....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, i didnt, was so excited to get mountain lion installed, do you have any idea how to get back to leopard? cuz every time start the computer now its starts the installation, ive tried to to pick start disc, but it wont let me....

Try this...

Turn the machine on, press and hold Command + R immediately and continue holding until the Mountain Lion Recovery window opens.

From there, you should be able to run Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD from the left pane. Then click the First Aid tab. Then run Verify/Repair Permissions and then Verify/Repair Disk. When finished, choose the reinstall option to try to kick off the installer again and see if it will proceed now.

OP
J
Reaction score
when u say macintosh HD, du u mean, 320,07 GB Hitachi HTS5? or the Mac OS X?... and where is the reinstall button

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when u say macintosh HD, du u mean, 320,07 GB Hitachi HTS5? or the Mac OS X?... and where is the reinstall button

Disk Utility will show the drive mechanism itself (Hitachi HTS5 or something to that effect), but below it, it should show the partitions on it. By default, the partition is called Macintosh HD, but you may have renamed it. Make sure you're selecting the partition, indented and just below the drive mechanism name:

00000303.png

The reinstall button is at the main Recovery Mode window, the same one that you launched Disk Utility from.

OP
J
Reaction score
ok, i got to the installation part, but when it asks me for apple id, i type it in, an its says i have to log on with the apple id i bought it with.... but im 100% sure im typing the right on

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that piece I can't help you with as I've never encountered a prompt to enter my Apple ID. Can you skip it?

If not, a call to Apple Support may be in order:

Apple - Support

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.