Power cord lights up, powerbook runs on battery

K

Kamila

I was working on my G4 today when the light on my powercord (where it plugs into the computer) changed from green to orange, and the power-source icon changed to 'battery'. SInce then, I can only run on battery. The powercord shows orange, but if I remove the battery it shuts down and won't start up again. If I try fiddling with the power cord, the light sometimes changes to green but the battery icon doesn't change. WHen the problem first started, I could get the battery icon to change to power cord icon (though only for a second or two) by fiddling with the power cord. Now that doesn't happen (it's only been a couple of hours.). I've tried re-setting PMU and that didn't work. I've tried using a different battery and that makes no difference.

Confused. If the power adapater isn't working then how come the orange light still comes on when I plug in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Take a look at the end of the chord (part that plugs into 'book), is it splitting apart? My old charger started splitting apart, so when I plugged it in, the charger was lighting up, but wouldn't charge.

OP
K

Kamila

to_tough_to_die said:
Take a look at the end of the chord (part that plugs into 'book), is it splitting apart? My old charger started splitting apart, so when I plugged it in, the charger was lighting up, but wouldn't charge.

Thanks. End of the cord looks ok. But I guess you're saying that the lighting up on its own isn't an indication that the charger is working ok - so maybe I need to get that replaced. Unless anyone has other suggestions?

Reaction score
I'd say you need a new power adapter. I noticed you said you tried using another battery-sounds like you just need a new power adapter then. If that doesn't work...then your input to plug in the adapter may be messed up.

Best of luck to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.