Mid 2009 17" MBP SSD Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Hi,

I did a system check on the Crucial website and found this SSD for my mid 2009 17" MBP and just bought it.

256GB, 2.5-inch Solid State Drive, upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (17-inch DDR3) MC226LL/A Mid-2009 Laptop/Notebook, CT1745494 from Crucial.com

Now it says that its compatible using their system checker, but after checking my system details apparently I have a 3.0 Gb/s SATA and this SSD is for a 6.0 !! I'm a complete noob so have no idea what these things mean lol

Will this SSD still work or should I cancel and order the V4 version ??

Many thanks for any info

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
In theory, it should. But a few of the 2007-2009 models have trouble using a 6G SATA device. I'm not sure exactly what years/models have the issues, or if its all of them. You may be fine. But you may also have issues.

To be safe, you might be better off canceling the order and getting the 3Gb/s version.

OP
Jbob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Thanks for your reply.

Cruital garenteee that it's compatible !!

Another question though ... If I install the M4 (6gb) and it works, would I get the same / better or worse performance than the V4 (3gb) version.

Reason I'm asking is that I'll be upgrading my MBP one day and I think I should be able to just swap the drives over into a machine that can use the 6gb version. Not sure when I'll be upgrading though.

Reaction score
You should get the same performance.

Think about it this way - you have a 2" pipe and a 1" pipe. Everything else being equal, water is going to flow through the 2" pipe faster than it will in the 1" pipe.

Now think of 6G as the 2" pipe and 3g as the 1" pipe.

Now imagine putting an adapter between the two pipes and allowing the water to flow? What will happen? Water will flow at the rate permitted by the 1" pipe (3G). The 2" pipe is capable of more, but it will be limited to the performance of the 1" pipe because that's what you connected it to.

p.s.: note this example ignores fluid dynamics issues involving turbulence, laminar flow, resistance along the inside surface of the pipe, etc.

OP
Jbob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Layman's terms just what I need haha thank you.

Crucial are closed until Monday so I'll sleep on it.

Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.