Did I get a good deal on these 3 old Macs?

Reaction score
Our local Mac repair shop has many old Apple equipment (Many Apple II, an Apple Lisa, 5 Macintosh portables, 50+ Plus/SE-30/Classic)He sold me a completely working Color Classic, a Power Macintosh 9500/350 with a Crescendo G4 CPU (ram maxed out at 1.5gb), and an SE/FDHD all for 30$

I have been looking for a color classic itself on ebay for a long time and they are all $800+, I feel like I just got one great deal!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do they all work? If so and you love old Macs like I do, that is a good deal!

This was way back, but I got a 7600 with a G4 Crescendo 400Mhz for $25 and it works great. I was able to load OS 10.2 on it in fact with that software loader.

OP
H
Reaction score
Do they all work? If so and you love old Macs like I do, that is a good deal!

This was way back, but I got a 7600 with a G4 Crescendo 400Mhz for $25 and it works great. I was able to load OS 10.2 on it in fact with that software loader.
Yeah, they all work. Both the Color Classic and the SE-FDHD have very crisp displays, but I want to upgrade the memory on the Color classic from 4mb to max 10mb.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very cool and a good deal then. I have a B&W Classic and 2 SE's with hard drives.

Reaction score
Our local Mac repair shop has many old Apple equipment (Many Apple II, an Apple Lisa, 5 Macintosh portables, 50+ Plus/SE-30/Classic)He sold me a completely working Color Classic, a Power Macintosh 9500/350 with a Crescendo G4 CPU (ram maxed out at 1.5gb), and an SE/FDHD all for 30$
As useful machines to be productive, you paid too much. As something to fulfill a hobby, puttering around with computers, I think you did fine.

I have been looking for a color classic itself on ebay for a long time and they are all $800+
If people are buying them at that price, America is in worse shape than I thought.

OP
H
Reaction score
As useful machines to be productive, you paid too much. As something to fulfill a hobby, puttering around with computers, I think you did fine.

If people are buying them at that price, America is in worse shape than I thought.

Oh, if you thought that was a lot, a guy a week or so ago bought a 128k prototype for 100,000.00$...
Currently I do plan as making the Power macintosh as a secondary machine for Leopard 10.5.8 after putting in 12 ram sticks of 128mb and upgrading the GPU to a Radeon 7000 128mb, then I should have a machine as good as an early PowerMac G4 450mhz (crescendo g4 400mhz). I guess I will use it as a basic web browsing computer for downstairs and maybe I'll play some movies on it occasionally since it has a DVD-rom drive ;)

Reaction score
Oh, if you thought that was a lot, a guy a week or so ago bought a 128k prototype for 100,000.00$...
Currently I do plan as making the Power macintosh as a secondary machine for Leopard 10.5.8 after putting in 12 ram sticks of 128mb and upgrading the GPU to a Radeon 7000 128mb, then I should have a machine as good as an early PowerMac G4 450mhz (crescendo g4 400mhz). I guess I will use it as a basic web browsing computer for downstairs and maybe I'll play some movies on it occasionally since it has a DVD-rom drive ;)
Well, I have a G4 Quicksilver with 2ghz processor upgrade and 15" LCD monitor for only $50 :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

They're buying them as collector's items, believe it or not.

Ever watch Pawn Stars or American Pickers on History? Never ceases to amaze me what people buy or sell for thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. One man's trash, is another's treasure...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I think that you got some awesome prices on those computers...I wish this Mac Repair Shop was located nearer to me!!!:)

I have been looking for a color classic itself on ebay for a long time and they are all $800+, I feel like I just got one great deal!

Yeah...maybe there are a couple folks paying these prices for a VERY unusual examples of these computers (sometimes they come with a lot of accessories)...and so the computer is sold as a package deal (printer, carrying case, software, manuals, etc.)...making it a more unique hard to find assemblage of "vintage" computer items.

Also remember...just because something is listed for $800 bucks...doesn't mean folks are paying that price. This is just the price some "crazy" seller is putting on it...it may never actually sell for that price.

I would actually like to get a Color Classic myself...but I still find the $100-$200 price I see for a lot of them to high for my taste.

Bottom line...you got a really great deal on these computers!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.