Airport Extreme won't connect to internet on setup

Reaction score
Hello all --
After extensive research, I decided to upgrade my wireless router to an Airport Extreme. Despite all of the reviews and tutorials that indicate the setup process is fast and trouble free, I cannot get it to work! I have followed the set up guide EXACTLY, and was able to name the network. However, the amber light keeps blinking, and I get three error messages on the Airport Utility:

1. No DNS Server.
2. Internet connection
3. PPPoE Server

It is set to connect via PPPoE through my Earthlink ISP. I don't know if this matters, but under the "Internet" tab when I attempt to edit the errors, the fields next to DNS Servers, IPv6 DNS Server, and Domain Name are blank. I ran into an IT buddy of mine today who said it could be as simple as changing the PPPoE option to DHCP because of a conflict in setting up IP addresses (or something like that). I wanted to check with others here first that are more versed in Mac's before I made any changes.

Essentially, it is unable to establish an internet connection. I did a Google search and the solutions I could follow did not work. I tried to set up a phone appointment through the Apple Support, but it states my product's Tech Support is expired (even though I'm supposed to have 90 days and I just bought it yesterday!).

If this helps, my ISP is Earthlink, and the modem I'm using is a netopia 3341-ELK (approximately 5 years old).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

OP
S
Reaction score
As a follow up, here is the "progress" (I think) I've made.

I changed the "Connect Using" option from PPPoE to DHCP. It then informed me that I needed to resolve a double NAT and that I need to change to "Bridge Mode." Doing this allows internet connection; however, when I attempt to connect to the network on another device, it takes me to a page from my ISP that states the IP is being used by another computer (my iMac connected to the AE), and to type in my password to change the connection to that other device. So it seems that essentially it will only allow one device to be connected at a time. Also, apparently it has not established the wireless network, as the wifi signal at the top of the connected computer doesn't have any bars. When I go into Airport utility, and select the icon that says "Other Airport Base Stations", it states that there are no new or remote base stations discovered.

One last thing is that when I open Airport Utility, it doesn't take me to the setup pages that walk you through the setup process shown in every tutorial, but to a grey screen with a grey and white globe with an image of an AE below it.

Sorry if this info is overkill, but wanted to give you all the information I could that might help resolve the issue!!!

Hello all --
After extensive research, I decided to upgrade my wireless router to an Airport Extreme. Despite all of the reviews and tutorials that indicate the setup process is fast and trouble free, I cannot get it to work! I have followed the set up guide EXACTLY, and was able to name the network. However, the amber light keeps blinking, and I get three error messages on the Airport Utility:

1. No DNS Server.
2. Internet connection
3. PPPoE Server

It is set to connect via PPPoE through my Earthlink ISP. I don't know if this matters, but under the "Internet" tab when I attempt to edit the errors, the fields next to DNS Servers, IPv6 DNS Server, and Domain Name are blank. I ran into an IT buddy of mine today who said it could be as simple as changing the PPPoE option to DHCP because of a conflict in setting up IP addresses (or something like that). I wanted to check with others here first that are more versed in Mac's before I made any changes.

Essentially, it is unable to establish an internet connection. I did a Google search and the solutions I could follow did not work. I tried to set up a phone appointment through the Apple Support, but it states my product's Tech Support is expired (even though I'm supposed to have 90 days and I just bought it yesterday!).

If this helps, my ISP is Earthlink, and the modem I'm using is a netopia 3341-ELK (approximately 5 years old).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.