way to remux mkv movie to m4v for playback on 4S to tv via Apple AV cable?

Reaction score
I'm not even sure this is possible, maybe it's a hardware issue with the iPhone or maybe I'm just not figuring out the right steps and settings.

My goal is to convert mkv movie files into m4v or mp4 to put into itunes.
I then would like to sync them to my iPhone 4S and play them on my 50 inch HDTV via the Apple A/V component cable.
I would like this to be done losslessly.

I have attempted using other methods that people are using to get an mkv into iTunes for playback via Apple TV but I am getting bad quality video and audio playback playing them through the iPhone 4S with these methods. For example:
from Subler making me crazy - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums

"1. Open MKV in MKVToolnix and remove header compression if any.
2. Open MKV in "remux" to convert AC3 tracks to AAC (this app lets you do it with all 6 channels enabled) and save just the audio.
3. Open MKV in Subler, set the audio to pass thru and add the AAC tracks manually.
4. Put into iTunes."

Anyone know a good way to accomplish my goal?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Handbrake is the best app to convert to IOS and Apple TV, you can control the quality after you select the correct prest for your device

HandBrake

If you export to Iphone you will loose some resolution because the iphone does not support full HD video, that's a limit you cannot bypass

OP
J
Reaction score
Handbrake is the best app to convert to IOS and Apple TV, you can control the quality after you select the correct prest for your device

HandBrake

thank you for the reply, however as I understand it using Handbrake will diminish the quality. I would like to conversion to be lossless with both audio and video from mkv to m4v. Is this possible with Handbrake?

C

chas_m

MKV is lossy.
MP4 is lossy.

Ergo, I'm not quite clear on how what you want to do is possible.

OP
J
Reaction score
MKV is lossy.
MP4 is lossy.

Ergo, I'm not quite clear on how what you want to do is possible.

Let me clarify.
I would like to get an mkv into m4v or mp4 losing none or as little quality as possible.
I would like to be able to put the files on my iPhone 4s and play them on my tv via the apple av component cable.

I figured there were others doing this who might have advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.