Application updates

Reaction score
My system is set up to automatically look for updates. This morning a pop up message read that there were 7 updates available. As usual I chose to download the updates. The download has been running for about 3 hours and still has an estimated 47 hours to go and climbing. Does this sound right to anyone else out there? Seems to be an unreasonable amount of time. Please let me know. Thanks.

In answer to "how long is a piece of rope" ......
iMac OS 10.7.3
Internet speed approximately 22Mbps down & 2Mbps up

PS - download time estimate now at 117 hours

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're downloading large updates via a dial-up modem (gigabytes)...47 hours may not be that long. Basically it's pretty difficult to answer this question...without knowing what sort of internet service you have.

It's kind of like saying..."How long is a piece of rope??"

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
117 hours is ridiculous with your broadband speed (how I wish I could get anything like that!).

What I would do in the first instance is:
Cancel the Updates. Go to Utilities>Disk Utility, select your Internal Drive and Click on "Repair Disk Permissions". Then I would restart the computer and then manually request Updates and try again.

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In answer to "how long is a piece of rope" ......
iMac OS 10.7.3
Internet speed approximately 22Mbps down & 2Mbps up

PS - download time estimate now at 117 hours

If you have a broadband internet connection...then yes..117 hours is too long.

One thing to consider...file transfers require both ends of the connection to be "speedy". Your end may be fine...the slow down could be the file server that the files are coming from.

- Nick

p.s. FYI...it's probably not a good idea to "edit" your original post when replying. That can get very confusing.

p.p.s. Regarding your 7 updates. Are these updates all coming from the same site? Because if not...only download 1 update at a time. Maybe only one of the updates is the problem...and the other 6 updates are fine/speedy.

OP
C
Reaction score
excessive download time

Decided to try one update at a time. This worked and all software now up to date.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Decided to try one update at a time. This worked and all software now up to date.:)

Hey...that sounds great!

I know that sometimes (just like internet web page loading)...sometimes when you try something the first time...something gets stuck or confused. But if you try doing the same thing a 2nd time...everything works fine.

Congrats,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.