SSD for macbook: OCZ Vertex 4 or OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G?

Reaction score
I have a macbook mid 2010, which I use for DJing, and I consider to replace the harddrive with an SSD.

The specs of the mac are:
  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache
  • 1066MHz frontside bus
  • 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM

What is important when I consider an SSD, in order of priority, is:
1. Speed
2. Reliability/Quality
3. Life span

From browsing around, I see two interesting choices:
-OCZ Vertex 4 512GB and
-OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 480GB

So the big question: Which do I choose?

Grateful for input!

Reaction score
That's a good price. For a $200 discount, I should have gotten that one I guess.

I could still return the OWC unit I have, but at this point, I don't want to go through the hassle.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's a good price. For a $200 discount, I should have gotten that one I guess.

I could still return the OWC unit I have, but at this point, I don't want to go through the hassle.

I don't think you can go wrong with the OWC. It's a bit faster than the M4, which uses a Marvell controller as opposed to the Sandforce controller in OWC's drives - and at 480GB, I believe they're over-provisioning to ensure greater reliability. OWC is also known for their customer service and Mac-centric tech support - that's worth a few extra bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You choose very well with the OWC drive. They make excellent products, and stand behind them too.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The OWC seems like the best choice, although the Crucial discount on amazon is worth considering :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.