"Damaged" error when downloading new software

Reaction score
I just upgraded to lion and I need to download some free concept mapping software for school. Once I get to the .dmg file and go to run the installation, I get an error saying the file is damaged and cannot be opened, with an option to move the file to the trash. I've tried the same downloads in multiple browsers and after restarting. Is this a lion problem or is this a problem with my machine? Anybody else having it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like the file (as stored on the server you're downloading from) is corrupt. Have you tried contacting the site owner? Tried a different download site?

OP
J
Reaction score
Actually, it's happened with a couple of different software downloads. I'm trying to find out if other people are having the same problem. I don't think it's the site because I know other students with older versions of OSX didn't have any trouble.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Actually, it's happened with a couple of different software downloads. I'm trying to find out if other people are having the same problem. I don't think it's the site because I know other students with older versions of OSX didn't have any trouble.

The only time I've ever run into that particular error is when the download failed or the file was corrupt at the source. Lion's been around for quite awhile now and is pretty mature. Are you talking about Mountain Lion?

Have you tried downloading it on a different machine, or perhaps a different Internet connection?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.