I stupidly changed the name of the home folder and I have so many problems!

Reaction score
I bought a macbook off ebay. It's a fantastic, fast machine. It runs Lion.

When I got the macbook, it had been wiped clean. However, the home folder was called "samwalker," the previous owner's name. I stupidly changed the name by going to system preferences and right clicking on my account, and just editing the information there.

I logged onto my account and there was a question mark with iPhoto there in the dock (don't know why), and it wouldn't let me go on system preferences. The icon just bounces there in the dock.

Luckily, there is another administrator account.

I want to know:

How can I change the SYSTEM administrator to another account as the second account works fine.

If I can't do this then how can I solve the problem?!

If I have to do a clean install will I have to purchase lion again? As the laptop comes with Snow Leopard disks.

Thanks so much, I'm having such a nightmare with this :(

Reaction score
Just add a new user. It will create a new home directory. Log into the new account and use it :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Just add a new user. It will create a new home directory. Log into the new account and use it :)

Okay, I have used verification with the system administrator and created a new admin account. I then deleted the system administrator account, will that make the new admin a system administrator?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yes if its an admin account you are a sys admin

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes if its an admin account you are a sys admin

Just to be clear - you can't log in as a "system administrator" (AKA 'root') on OS X or any modern UNIX-like OS. An "administrator" account is less limited than a Standard account, but is still limited nonetheless. For example, you'll be prompted for credentials if you try to make a significant modification to the disk.

Reaction score
Just to be clear - you can't log in as a "system administrator" (AKA 'root') on OS X or any modern UNIX-like OS.
Ridiculous. You surely can - on OS X you just have to enable the root account and you can log into it from the login screen just like any other account.

Okay, I have used verification with the system administrator and created a new admin account. I then deleted the system administrator account, will that make the new admin a system administrator?
If you created a new admin account, you have created a system admin account. You have accomplished this already. You can use this account to perform any admin function you require. Sometimes you need to enter a password. Other times, you may need to go to the terminal an "su to root" (or sudo if you prefer), depending on what you need to do.

So, now that you have this account, you can copy files/folders from any previous accounts you made into the home directory for your new account, and once you're satisfied with your results, you can delete any old account you no longer need (i.e. the ones with the changed home dir names).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
And defeat some of the security in OSX.

Reaction score
And defeat some of the security in OSX.
Well sure. That's generally the whole point behind logging into the superuser account. But in any case, the comment that you can't log into OS X as root is just plain incorrect.

Besides which - sometimes you need to get things done, and without jumping through all kinds of hoops. In these sorts of situations, you need to return to your roots :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well sure. That's generally the whole point behind logging into the superuser account. But in any case, the comment that you can't log into OS X as root is just plain incorrect.

Besides which - sometimes you need to get things done, and without jumping through all kinds of hoops. In these sorts of situations, you need to return to your roots :)

You are correct, however, in the context of this thread - that is, a user new to Mac that just wants a factory fresh start - my answer was apt.

Can you shoehorn a V8 into a Geo Metro? Sure, but not without thwarting the intentions of the manufacturer, and the integrity and intended purpose for the vehicle. In short, just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should.

Reaction score
Can you shoehorn a V8 into a Geo Metro? Sure, but not without thwarting the intentions of the manufacturer, and the integrity and intended purpose for the vehicle.
Really bad example. You're talking about exceeding the design specifications of a product. Logging in as root is using product feature made available from the manufacturer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
you do realize you are ripping down a very intelligent computer adimn who knows what he is doing. I can just see everyone here doing what was suggested. Their computers would be door stops over night.

Reaction score
you do realize you are ripping down a very intelligent computer adimn who knows what he is doing.
No. What are you talking about?

I can just see everyone here doing what was suggested. Their computers would be door stops over night.
Huh? How do you figure? My suggestion was that he create a new admin account and copy his files over.

So, now that you have this account, you can copy files/folders from any previous accounts you made into the home directory for your new account, and once you're satisfied with your results, you can delete any old account you no longer need (i.e. the ones with the changed home dir names).
How does that create a doorstop?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
people with a full admin account would ruin their OS by doing things they know not what they do. Happens daily in fact.

You can just put in SUDO and leave it set as normal. There is a reason Apple did not enable Root by default.

Reaction score
people with a full admin account would ruin their OS by doing things they know not what they do. Happens daily in fact.
Well, some would anyway. It's a good way to learn. But my suggestion to the poster didn't require him to login as root.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really bad example. You're talking about exceeding the design specifications of a product. Logging in as root is using product feature made available from the manufacturer.

The metaphor was intended to illustrate an example of why just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done. Perhaps I chose my wording badly in my original post, but when we consider the context of the discussion, it's pretty much irrelevant whether or not enabling the root account for logins is technically possible.

Either way, I don't intend to argue the point any further as we're just derailing the thread at this point - so I'll just leave at this - you are correct and I was wrong. Does that make you feel better?

Reaction score
The metaphor was intended to illustrate an example of why just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done. Perhaps I chose my wording badly in my original post, but when we consider the context of the discussion, it's pretty much irrelevant whether or not enabling the root account for logins is technically possible.

Either way, I don't intend to argue the point any further as we're just derailing the thread at this point - so I'll just leave at this - you are correct and I was wrong. Does that make you feel better?
Sure.

I hope the OP gets is issues sorted out :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.