while in sleep mode, do Macbook pro fans spin?

Reaction score
Im traveling tomorrow and I want to put my macbook pro in a case , with no air ventilation in sleep mode, Can I do this or no? Will the fans still spin?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
when traveling, shut it down. I have been in IT for over 16 years and never is it recommended to travel with a computer of any kind in sleep mode.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Very good advice from member "Deckyon". I can relate to numerous posts in our forums which talk about a machine overheating because it woke up while traveling in someone's back pack or traveling case. Always shut the machine off while traveling or carrying it about.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you! Ill just drain it to 90% while traveling then then turn it off

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why drain the battery? There's no need to do that provided you shut the machine down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
when traveling, shut it down. I have been in IT for over 16 years and never is it not recommended to travel with a computer of any kind in sleep mode.
Fixed that for you. While there is nothing wrong with shutting down your computer, it is perfectly fine to let it sleep. Neither Apple nor any other authority will recommend against it.

A shut/sleeping Mac uses essentially no power and thus produces essentially no heat. Thus, the fans do not run and no ventilation is required.

There is no need to shut the machine down, provided it is kept in a real case that does now allow it to pop open and wake up. I have used Apple notebooks for over a decade, and never shut them down, except for hardware upgrades, from the day that I get them through the day that I replace them. My laptops have slept peacefully in their bags for days at a time, through airport X-ray machines, under the seats of aircraft, beside me on the subway, under a berth on the train, and in the trunk of my car. That's how they're designed to work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no need to shut the machine down, provided it is kept in a real case that does now allow it to pop open and wake up. I have used Apple notebooks for over a decade, and never shut them down, except for hardware upgrades, from the day that I get them through the day that I replace them. My laptops have slept peacefully in their bags for days at a time, through airport X-ray machines, under the seats of aircraft, beside me on the subway, under a berth on the train, and in the trunk of my car. That's how they're designed to work.

That's all well and good and I'm happy to hear that you have never had a problem. However, we've seen posts from folks who were not as careful or as knowledgeable as you. And that's why I will continue to recommend shutting it down rather than putting it to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
That's all well and good and I'm happy to hear that you have never had a problem. However, we've seen posts from folks who were not as careful or as knowledgeable as you
If we were to take that approach, we would have to recommend people leave their computers in their boxes and never take them out. Incautious and ignorant people will inevitably have problems. The solution is to educate them, instead of discouraging them.

Travelling with a sleeping Mac has long been a recommended practice by Apple. So long as you are not mishandling your computer, it is perfectly safe; if you are mishandling your computer, it's not safe anyway.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Travelling with a sleeping Mac has long been a recommended practice by Apple. So long as you are not mishandling your computer, it is perfectly safe; if you are mishandling your computer, it's not safe anyway.

I'm going to just say that I disagree with that sentiment and leave it at that. Like I stated above, I will continue to recommend turning off the machine while traveling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.