What To Do With My Ole G3 Desktop - Display Not Working?

Reaction score
Hi Apple Friends. I am new to the Forum and hoping for some help that I can't seem to find anywhere! I really, really want to save my Beige Desktop G3 that I've kept all these years - I love this machine - but the monitor has stopped working.

Actually, the monitor is fine... I tested it on my MacBook Pro. I have had it plugged into the original input port on the G3, using the Viewsonic adaptor (and its 2nd backup, both with the original switch settings), having to jiggle it more and more recently to get the picture to stay on. Then - nothing.

So.... I just bought a Mac-ready ATI Radeon 7000 PCI 64mb video card off of ebay. I installed it and.... nothing. No image... black screen. I removed the other pci card I had... a USB card. Still nothing. I tried it in all 3 pci slots. Nothing.

The person I bought it from is not being very helpful other than to say he will send me another card.

Is there something wrong with my motherboard????

Can someone PLEASE help? I do not have another desktop machine to test with, only 2 Mac laptops.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you can mange to install the OS 9 drivers see if this works (it took some finding)

applemacanix dot info

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks! But that's my problem!! The guy who sold me the card did send me a very similar link and instructions but I can't see anything (no monitor!) to install anything.

Am I missing something really obvious??

Like I said in my original post, I tested the monitor on my laptop to make sure it wasn't the problem, so I haven't bothered hauling in another monitor to try... but I can't fool around with drivers because I can't see anything.... : (

Does it sound like a driver issue... the black screen? Also, the power light on the monitor stays amber... only for 1 second while she's booting up does it go green... on all 3 pci slots. Yet, again, when hooked up to the MacBook Pro, the Viewsonic is fine.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Can you connect to the G3 with file sharing or do you have an ATA enclosure to put the G3s hard disk into?

OP
F
Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not know the computer's IP address... that's what I would need to connect to it if it's online, right? (Funny though, I cannot seem to get its blue ethernet cable out... it is stuck in the port...)

I am not exactly sure what an ATA enclosure is, but if you mean is its hard drive somehow partitioned off either externally or internally onto another drive so that it can be accessed from elsewhere.... no.

As you can see, I am limited in my DIY abilities. Putting in new video cards is no problem, as long as nothing goes sideways.

So you think the black screen can still be an issue with the driver? In that case, how in the heck can I install the driver with no visibility and no way to access the hard drive, without pulling out the HD etc....??

Reaction score
I would say its the wrong card for a beige G3...has to do with the voltage on the PCI slots. Get another mac to vga adapter and see if the screen comes up. The viewsonic adapter should be set at all switches off except 9 and 10 on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.