Problems with New Hard Drive in MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I have a late 2009 MacBook Pro. My original hard drive crashed, so I bought a new one. It is a Seagate Momentus 500GB/16MB/7200RPM SATA. I installed the newest version of Snow Leopard but decided not to update to lion as mountain lion is coming and no one could answer my question on if I needed lion to update to mountain lion or if I could do it straight from snow leopard and save $30. Sorry got a little off topic.

So my mbp is running great and all of a sudden it wont boot up. it stays on the white screen with the grey apple. So I insert my software disc and run a repair. Problem solved. So that works for a few days and then all of a sudden it won't boot up again only this time it is not reading the hard drive, it has the white screen with the grey folder with the question mark in it. So I put the os x disc back in it and run a repair. This time it says it can't be repaired and to reformat the disc. So I start doing that and when I tell it to reformat my hard drive just disappears. I tried doing it multiple times where it lets me select the hard drive to the left and when I tell it to reformat it goes away. This has all happened in just a little over 30 days so the hard drive is brand new and I plan on returning it for a new one but I was wondering if the problem is not just the hard drive and if it is going to happen again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not unusual for that to happen. I've had a dead hard drive right out of a brand new box. Return it for a new one and try again. Also, make sure you have a good backup on hand.

Reaction score
I have that same drive - been using it for a year with no problems. I will be putting it in my new MBP13m2012 when it comes back from TechRestore (having a non-mirrored display put in it).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.