2011 iMac hard drive temperature query

Reaction score
Hi

I'm currently using a mid 2011 27" iMac with a 1 TB Western Digital HDD. I recently downloaded the iStat Nano widget that allows me to monitor component temperatures.

I have read on a few web pages that the optimal temperature range for a hard drive is roughly 35 - 40 ºC (95 - 104ºF) but my iMac's hard drive when merely editing a word document settles at around 43ºC (109,4ºF) and when I start browsing the web or doing some light transferring of files, it goes up to about 46-49ºC (114,8 - 120,2ºF) and sometimes even slightly above 50ºC. Is this normal? Should I be worried? And is there something I can do to keep my hard drive temperature down?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

My iMac currently is at 34ºC but it is the midst of winter with an ambient temperature of 15º. If you are in the northern hemisphere experiencing summer may well be about correct. Have a look at this link:-

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1183832

Surprised the 1TB drive mine is not a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm. Shows in Apple System Profiler as ST31000528AS.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm also in the southern hemisphere, South Africa. The ambient temperature is currently 11 degrees celcius.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.