Boot Camp/Windows Installation Newbie

Reaction score
I don't know if this should go in this thread, but I decided I would put it here, as I just joined today. I have just begun to use Boot Camp, and found out the Boot Camp Assistant works just fine on my Mac. What I have problems with now is setting up the Windows portion. I have way to many CD's for XP, so I was going to use that. When I booted up my Mac with the XP CD in, I got to the blue setup screen. Everything had been going well, but when I got to where most people chose which drive to use, I was instead brought to a screen about how Windows has not been installed on this computer, and to put in a reference disk to prove being able to put it on my Mac (or something along those lines...) I attempted to eject it using the eject, but no dice. I looked on the internet for ways to get past it, but I only found "Slipstreaming" the CD's onto one CD. I was about to do it, when it was shown for Windows. Is there any way that I can at least get past Slipstreaming it, maybe another way of ejecting the disk? I am on an iMac, not a MacBook, so using a paperclip would not work. Is there someway to get past this part?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One thing you need to understand about setting up a Boot Camp Windows installation on your Mac is that the Windows CD must be a FULL install version of at least XP SP2. Why? Because as you just found out, there is no way to eject the CD to insert another to prove that the upgrade is legal. (Mac optical drives are slot loaders not tray loaders.)

Also, the Windows CD or DVD must be either a Microsoft boxed edition or an OEM System Builder's edition. And again, must be a full install version. The same goes for installing Vista or Windows 7.

Reboot your machine and hold down the left mouse button and keep holding it during the boot cycle until the CD ejects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

First up what model computer are you using? Later models will only install Windows 7. To use BootCamp your hard drive must be in one single partition and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Go to BootCamp in Utilities and print the Guidelines there.

Next download the drivers and burn to a CD and proceed with Windows install. BootCamp will format the Windows partition, just select it and hit the format button, suggest using NTFS and continue with the install.

To get the CD out reboot and hold down the mouse button as soon as it chimes and the CD should pop out.

OP
S
Reaction score
One thing you need to understand about setting up a Boot Camp Windows installation on your Mac is that the Windows CD must be a FULL install version of at least XP SP2. Why? Because as you just found out, there is no way to eject the CD to insert another to prove that the upgrade is legal. (Mac optical drives are slot loaders not tray loaders.)

Also, the Windows CD or DVD must be either a Microsoft boxed edition or an OEM System Builder's edition. And again, must be a full install version. The same goes for installing Vista or Windows 7.

Reboot your machine and hold down the left mouse button and keep holding it during the boot cycle until the CD ejects.

Well, chscang, I do have the XP SP2. I have (I believe) all the disks for installation. And about having the CD"s... Hmm... I just have a bunch of CD's my family and I have been collecting over the years updating another computer, until that computer was taken apart. I understand I can get the CD out at that point, but will it eject the CD even while in the Setup screen? And if I ejected it, wouldn't it not load the Setup?

G'day and welcome to the forums.

First up what model computer are you using? Later models will only install Windows 7. To use BootCamp your hard drive must be in one single partition and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Go to BootCamp in Utilities and print the Guidelines there.

Next download the drivers and burn to a CD and proceed with Windows install. BootCamp will format the Windows partition, just select it and hit the format button, suggest using NTFS and continue with the install.

To get the CD out reboot and hold down the mouse button as soon as it chimes and the CD should pop out.

Harryb, thanks for the warm welcome. Just based off of you, I see there are a lot of people here, all from different areas. Anyways, I'm using a mid 2007 Mac, so it isn't that old. I'm pretty sure also that this one will be able to run almost any Windows OS. I have already formatted it to (Journaled), and I wasn't able to look up the Guidelines at the moment. Printers down. Unless you can find a copy that I can read online. I don't really understand that next section. How exactly would I burn it onto a CD? Take both CD's and copy them onto my desktop, and combine them onto a CD? I think I really only need the last part, as I have both disks. But you may need to clarify for me. Sorry, semi-noob here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do have the XP SP2. I have (I believe) all the disks for installation. And about having the CD"s... Hmm... I just have a bunch of CD's my family and I have been collecting over the years updating another computer, until that computer was taken apart. I understand I can get the CD out at that point, but will it eject the CD even while in the Setup screen? And if I ejected it, wouldn't it not load the Setup?

You need to read the Boot Camp Assistant instructions. LINK As I related in my first reply to you, you need either a genuine MS Boxed full version or an OEM System Builder's full version of XP SP2. You can not install with a branded CD from another computer nor can it be a set of CDs.

OP
S
Reaction score
You need to read the Boot Camp Assistant instructions. LINK As I related in my first reply to you, you need either a genuine MS Boxed full version or an OEM System Builder's full version of XP SP2. You can not install with a branded CD from another computer nor can it be a set of CDs.

Is there any other way then, that I can run Boot Camp? I don't know if I would run Parallels, due to expenses, but if thats a last resort, I guess I may have to. But it seems like all other people are using single disks, identical to what I have. I don't understand it all..

Oh, I think I have seen that. I have used that to get through certain parts. Guess I'll just have to keep looking through it.

Boot Camp Manual said:
Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2
or later is required for Windows XP installations). Do not install an earlier version of
Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2.

So how can I get it all into a single full install disk? Again, I hope I'm not being redundant, but I have the XP installation disk, and the SP2 disk.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any other way then, that I can run Boot Camp? I don't know if I would run Parallels, due to expenses, but if thats a last resort, I guess I may have to. But it seems like all other people are using single disks, identical to what I have. I don't understand it all..

OK, I understand. However, there's a free version that you can use to create a VM if you want to go that way. VirtualBox from Oracle is free and works well.

So how can I get it all into a single full install disk? Again, I hope I'm not being redundant, but I have the XP installation disk, and the SP2 disk.

What you can do is slipstream SP2 to the XP disk. You can do that even with an original install disk without any service packs. Download the free Autostreamer and use it to do the slipstreaming. I've personally used Autostreamer several times and it works well. Make sure you read the instructions carefully.

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, I understand. However, there's a free version that you can use to create a VM if you want to go that way. VirtualBox from Oracle is free and works well.

I have heard about that, and almost used that, but after reading the info below, I'll probably slipstream.

What you can do is slipstream SP2 to the XP disk. You can do that even with an original install disk without any service packs. Download the free Autostreamer and use it to do the slipstreaming. I've personally used Autostreamer several times and it works well. Make sure you read the instructions carefully.

So, if I use this, it will combine both so that I can get past the part of Setup I am stuck on? Hope this works.

OP
S
Reaction score

I used that URL, lotta downloads, just like other major download sites. Anyways, I downloaded them, but these are ending in .exe? Is there a Mac Compatible download somewhere?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that.... You need to do the slipstreaming on a Windows computer as the program "Autostreamer" is Windows only.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry about that.... You need to do the slipstreaming on a Windows computer as the program "Autostreamer" is Windows only.

Oh ok then. I'll borrow a computer real fast. Thanks for the help. Chances are I'll be back in a bit, probably talking about another newbie thing :Smirk: Hopefully I'll learn some stuff here on this site.

OP
S
Reaction score
Last question for now. I have AutoStreamer up and running, and if I stream on the SP2 onto the XP CD, will it erase the XP data so that it can no longer be used to install? Is there another way so that I can put it onto a blank CD instead?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're supposed to copy the contents of your XP CD to the hard drive and then use Autostreamer to slipstream the copy of SP2 into it. Afterward, burn the result to a new CD. That becomes your install CD for Boot Camp.

Also you asked about downloading VirtualBox? If you intend to play games in Windows, you shouldn't be using VM software unless the games you want to play are real old and not graphic intensive. Otherwise you'll need to run those games in real Windows. (Boot Camp dual boot.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.