Home folder renamed help and tips needed.

Reaction score
Hello,

My first post is to tell about something really stupid I did yesterday.
I got the brilliant idea of rename my home folder when I realised nothing was working properly I assumed what I have done wrong the I put it back but things was still not working so I decided to restart my Imac and that was the end.
After a nightmare of a night I got my Hard drive erased and clean and did a new installation of my snow leopard on my Imac now I downloading the Mountain lion OS and once it is done I will try to recovery some stuff that i got on my external hard drive such my itunes folder, and iphoto library what iI wanna know if is possible replace the new empty library files and folders for the ones i got on my external drive and if yes how I do it safely.

There is any step by step guide out there for this kind of situation or anyine can give me a light on how to do it.

Second I was think about keep all system files on the Mac, but my photos, movies and musics on a external hard drive so basic my Imac and then my future macbook pro can use the same files and the machines just the OS system so my back ups also will be more lighty.

Thanks in advance

Kled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
I'm not real clear on what you are asking.. but yes you can keep your files on an external drive if you like.

With itunes, go to preferences->Advanced and you can select your default media folder location. You can also select whether or not to copy files and organize.

I don't have much experience playing around with iPhoto.. I use it for only it's most basic purposes, but I see it also has options under preferences->advanced. At least 1 relates to importing and copying images into the iphoto library.

OP
K
Reaction score
Relate to the itunes i'm interested in keep my music ratings i got over 100Gb of music and rate everything again will be really annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How up to date is your itunes on the external.

You can just drag them back in to iTunes but you will loose any ratings since your last back-up

You should have come to us earlier, it is easy to recover from a simple folder rename and we could have gotten everything fixed without the need to reformat

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi my iTunes is working fine have dragged my old folder and everything is on the right place.
Now I'm updating my iPhoto and gonna do the same to see if work with his library and after it replace the mail folder to recovery my e-mails.

Well yesterday was a day of two big mistakes first the stupid idea of rename the home folder and second the desperation actions I done.
By the way can you explain how I was supposed to act?

OP
K
Reaction score
Replaced the new iPhoto and mail folders for the ones on my external and everything is working flawless.

I think all is sorted now.:D

But on last question this one about the mountain lion system I keep the box show indication lights for open applications ticked. On Lion Os its clearly appears under my apps but on Mountain Lion it is there but it so down to the bottom of my dock I barely can see it my resolution its set for fit my display but even if I change it on display settings it keeps hidden.

C

chas_m

It's definitely more subtle in Mountain Lion. I have no trouble seeing it but I can see where some people would have.

You can enable the "2D dock" through a donationware program called Mountain Tweaks. You could also just move the dock to the sides rather than the bottom.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.