Macbook A1181 Trackpad Issue

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a black Macbook from around 2006 that had been sitting around with a broken LCD since 2008 or so. I finally gathered the resolve to replace it and it worked out pretty well. I zeroed out the hard disk, repartitioned and did a fresh install of 10.6.8.

I still haven't been able to resolve an issue with the trackpad. It clicks okay but if I do so the left click on my USB mouse stops functioning--it works again if I unplug it and plug it back in. What upsets me is that the cursor doesn't respond to trackpad input whether there's a USB mouse present or not.

Now, as I recall the trackpad stopped working sometime after the LCD broke. I may have found a way to run it with the lid closed so I could run Transmission on it around the clock. This may have been a dumb idea but it seemed brilliant at the time. I will say I can't quite recall if the trackpad broke before, during or after I was doing this.

I've read that power supply could be at issue but I've tried it with 3 prong, duck head etc.

Pardon me if I've given too much information, this is my first post here. I'd really appreciate any insight!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.