Hard drive noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 15"
I bought a MBP 15 a few months ago and I am noticing noise from the hard drive that I am 99% certain wasn't there when I got it, in fact, a while ago I had a work laptop that was very loud so I always notice how quiet a laptop is since then. It almost sounds like a small fan and while it isn't loud, it is very annoying and distracting when the room is quiet. It never changes pitch or speed and sounds kind of like a bad bearing.
So, before I head over to the Apple store 30+ minutes away, my question is, does your newer MBP make any noise, and if so, does it sound like what I describe?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I would put my money on the Apple Store, since you are still in your warranty period, especially when it's some 30+ minutes away.
Judging from the issue at hand, that's probably where you will end up anyway.

Nonetheless good luck!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a MBP 15 a few months ago and I am noticing noise from the hard drive that I am 99% certain wasn't there when I got it,

Is this a brand new computer...or did you buy it used?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Brand new.

Since this MacBook Pro is brand new...it shouldn't be making any "weird" noises (especially if the "noise" started after you had it for a while). Definitely take it to Apple to diagnose. It's always possible the hard drive is defective.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.